|Southern University||D Beltran 15.9||B Moore 7.1||J Grace 3.6|
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 17.5||E Harris 7.4||D Stockton 3.3|
16th-seeded Southern University takes on No. 1-seeded Gonzaga in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at EnergySolutions Arena on Thursday. It takes place at 4:10 p.m. ET and you can catch it on TBS. The Jaguars last played the Bulldogs on Nov. 12, 2010 and lost 117-72.
In their last outing, behind 13 points and seven rebounds from Derick Beltran, the Jaguars defeated Prairie View A&M 45-44 on Mar. 16. At 15.9, he paces the team in points per game. For the Bulldogs, Kelly Olynyk finished with 21 points and 12 rebounds in the 65-51 win over Saint Mary's on Mar. 11. With 17.5 points per game and 1.2 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Gonzaga appears to have an edge in one significant area, scoring, where the Bulldogs have the upper hand over the Jaguars, 77.7 points per game to 67.7 points per game. A few of the Four Factors in which Gonzaga stands out are effective field goal percentage at 56.2, offensive rebounding percentage at 37.5, and turnover percentage at 17.1.
- The Southern University three-point leader (Macolm Miller, 81 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Gonzaga three-point leader (Kevin Pangos, 70 three-pointers).
- Last year the SWAC had more close games in conference (so the games are more exciting to watch) than in the West Coast.
- Southern University is better at defending the three (28.5 percent allowed vs. 32.0 percent allowed) than Gonzaga this season.
- The Southern University blocks leader (Brandon Moore, 47 blocks) has more blocks than the Gonzaga blocks leader (Kelly Olynyk, 35 blocks).
- Macolm Miller is ranked 44th nationally in three-pointers.
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for rebounds, three-pointers, and blocks are in the SWAC.
|C-||Guy Landry Edi||11||3||2||0||0||0||1|