Western Kentucky vs. Kansas: Full Game Preview
|Western Kentucky||T Price 15.3||G Fant 6.8||J Crook 4.0|
|Kansas||B McLemore 16.4||J Withey 8.4||E Johnson 4.8|
16th-seeded Western Kentucky matches up against No. 1-seeded Kansas in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Sprint Center on Friday. It takes place at 9:50 p.m. ET and you can catch it on TNT. The Hilltoppers have not played the Jayhawks since the 1997-98 season, when they lost 75-62.
In their last outing, behind 17 points and 13 rebounds from George Fant, the Hilltoppers defeated Florida International 65-63 on Mar. 11. In addition to a team-leading 6.8 rebounds per game, he chips in 12.9 points per game. In a 70-54 victory over Kansas State on Mar. 16, Jeff Withey put up 17 points and nine rebounds for the Jayhawks. With 8.4 rebounds per game and 3.8 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. One category in which Kansas is especially proficient is effective field goal percentage at 53.4, ranking second in their conference (and 28th nationally).
- The Western Kentucky basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Kansas (100 percent vs. 80 percent).
- The Sun Belt had more close games in conference (so the games are more exciting to watch) than in the Big 12.
- Kansas has to pay up to win. The coach for Western Kentucky has a much lower base salary than Kansas ($350,000 vs. $3,375,656).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Western Kentucky currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (944 to 1000) than Kansas, per the NCAA.
- The Sun Belt has 2 teams - Florida International (9.3) and Arkansas State (8.3) - that create more steals per game than the Big 12 leader, Texas Tech (8.2).
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for points, rebounds, field goals made, free throws made, and three-pointers are in the Sun Belt.
- The Western Kentucky three-point leader (T.J. Price, 79 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Kansas three-point leader (Ben McLemore, 66 three-pointers).
|D+||A. White III||6||2||1||0||0||0||1|