|Saint Mary's||M Dellavedova 15.8||B Waldow 6.1||M Dellavedova 6.4|
|Middle Tenn State||M Knight 12.5||M Knight 5.8||B Massey Jr 3.3|
11th-seeded Middle Tennessee State squares off against 11th-seeded Saint Mary's in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at University of Dayton Arena on Tuesday. It starts at 9:10 p.m. ET and you can catch it on truTV.
The Blue Raiders were defeated by Florida International 61-57 on Mar. 10 despite 17 points and eight rebounds from Shawn Jones. He leads the team in blocks per game with 1.2 while also putting up 8.6 points per game. For the Gaels, Stephen Holt finished with 19 points and seven rebounds in the 65-51 loss to Gonzaga on Mar. 11. He is averaging 11.8 points per game and leads the team in steals with 1.2 per game. Saint Mary's sits near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: defensive rebounding percentage at 75.3, effective field goal percentage at 54.6, and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.4.
Saint Mary's StatSmack
- The Middle Tennessee State blocks leader (Shawn Jones, 41 blocks) has more blocks than the Saint Mary's blocks leader (Brad Waldow, 30 blocks).
- Middle Tennessee State has a better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (56.4 percent to 56.2 percent).
- Middle Tennessee State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Middle Tennessee State is 211 lbs compared to 206 lbs for Saint Mary's.
- The Sun Belt had more close games in conference (so the games are more exciting to watch) than in the West Coast.
- Middle Tennessee State is ranked higher than Saint Mary's in their conference (No. 1 vs. No. 2).
- The top-ranking players between the two conferences for rebounds, field goals made, free throws made, three-pointers, steals, and blocks are in the Sun Belt.
- The Middle Tennessee State steals leader (Bruce Massey Jr, 50 steals) has more steals than the Saint Mary's steals leader (Matthew Dellavedova, 38 steals).
- The Sun Belt has 3 teams - Florida Atlantic (5.2), South Alabama (5.0), and North Texas (4.8) - that produce more blocks per game than the West Coast leader, Santa Clara (4.8).
- Saint Mary's has been ducking Middle Tennessee State for over 30 years.
- Middle Tennessee State is better at defending the three (29.6 percent allowed vs. 37.5 percent allowed) than Saint Mary's this season.
|C||J. Walker III||22||7||4||1||1||0||1|
|C||Bruce Massey Jr||23||6||3||3||2||0||2|
|C||K. Hammonds II||22||6||3||2||1||0||1|
|C-||J. Gallman Jr||13||4||1||1||0||0||1|
|C-||Jason Jones Jr||10||4||2||0||0||0||1|