NC A&T 57
(19-16, 8-12 away)
Morgan State 54
(17-15, 7-6 home)
Venue: Norfolk Scope Arena
5:00PM ET / 2:00PM PT, March 16, 2013
||A Powell 14
||A Witter 9
||J Underwood 3
||D Jackson 20
||J Black 7
||B Bozeman 3
North Carolina A&T squared off with Morgan State on Saturday, Mar. 16 and got by the Bears 57-54 to claim the MEAC championship. The season series between the two teams is now tied at 1-1. The Aggies got the win with 11 points and nine rebounds from Austin Witter. Adrian Powell scored 14 points and added two rebounds. North Carolina A&T gets to the NCAA Tournament with a 19-16 record. During the regular season they finished sixth in the MEAC with an 8-8 conference record. North Carolina A&T was victorious against Florida A&M (65-54), North Carolina Central (55-42), and Delaware State (84-78) on the journey to the MEAC championship game. For the Bears, DeWayne Jackson got a game-high 20 points and seven rebounds. Morgan State (17-15) finished the regular season fifth in the MEAC with a 10-6 record. In reaching the conference championship, they beat South Carolina State (61-52), Savannah State (64-61), and Bethune-Cookman (82-71).
North Carolina A&T Game Notes
- The win over Morgan State extended the North Carolina A&T winning streak to four games.
- NCAT beat the spread by 5.5 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Aggies have beaten the spread.
- The Aggies have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, North Carolina A&T is 31-27 in close games.
- North Carolina A&T has won 91 percent of the time this season (10-1) when its field goal percentage has been 44.2 percent or better.
- The Aggies have won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) after recording 23 or more field goals made.
- NCAT has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record six or fewer assists.
- NCAT has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) after holding an opponent to under 34.4 percent field goal percentage.
- This season North Carolina A&T has won 81 percent of the time (13-3) when Lamont Middleton has 13 points or more, 73 percent of the time (11-4) when Adrian Powell has five field goals made or more, and 86 percent of the time (6-1) when Austin Witter has five blocks or more.
- The Aggies have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past six games.
- The top two scorers (Adrian Powell and Lamont Middleton) accounted for 47.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Austin Witter and DeMetrius Upchurch) accounted for 45.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Adrian Powell has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 35 games this season.
- Austin Witter has led the team in rebounding in 18 out of 35 games this season.
- Adrian Powell has four straight double-digit point games.
- Lamont Middleton has four straight double-digit point games.
Morgan State Game Notes
- The Bears have lost eight times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Morgan State is 33-38 in close games.
- DeWayne Jackson recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 21.
- DeWayne Jackson accounted for 37.0 percent of the team's points.
- DeWayne Jackson has led the team in scoring nine times in 32 games this season.
- Anthony Hubbard has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 16th 20-point game of DeWayne Jackson's career.
- DeWayne Jackson has five straight double-digit point games.
- Anthony Hubbard has four straight double-digit point games.