In a low-scoring matchup, Southern University nipped Prairie View A&M 45-44 to claim the SWAC championship. With the win, the Jaguars remain undefeated against Prairie View A&M this season at 3-0. The Jaguars got the win with a team-high 13 points and seven rebounds from Derick Beltran. Macolm Miller had six points and added nine rebounds. Southern University reaches the NCAA Tournament with a 23-9 record. During the regular season they finished second in the SWAC with a 15-3 conference record. Southern University was victorious against Alabama A&M (72-59) on the journey to the SWAC championship game. Jules Montgomery finished with eight points and 12 rebounds for the Panthers. Prairie View A&M (15-19) finished the regular season fifth in the SWAC with an 8-10 record. In reaching the conference championship, they beat Alcorn State (67-59) and Jackson State (88-75).
Southern University Game Notes
- The win over Prairie View A&M extended the Southern University winning streak to three games.
- The Jaguars have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Southern University is 24-28 in close games.
- The Jaguars have won 84 percent of the time this season (16-3) after recording four or more blocks.
- Southern University has won 75 percent of the time this season (6-2) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- Southern University has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record 44 or fewer total points.
- Southern University has won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) after holding an opponent to under 33.3 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Southern University has won 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Brandon Moore plays 34 minutes or more, 75 percent of the time (9-3) when Derick Beltran has six field goals made or more, and 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Macolm Miller has four free throws made or more.
- Southern University set season lows for field goals made (15), three-pointers (one), three-point percentage (10.0), and total points (45).
- Southern University has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 10 games.
- The top two scorers (Derick Beltran and Yondarius Johnson) accounted for 46.6 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Macolm Miller and Derick Beltran) accounted for 48.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Derick Beltran has led the team in scoring in 17 out of 32 games this season.
- Macolm Miller has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 32 games this season.
- Derick Beltran has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Javan Mitchell.
Prairie View A&M Game Notes
- The Panthers have lost seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Prairie View A&M is 24-29 in close games.
- Jourdan DeMuynck accounted for 34.0 percent of the team's points.
- Jules Montgomery accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jourdan DeMuynck has led the team in scoring 20 times in 34 games this season.
- Jules Montgomery has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 34 games this season.
- Carl Blair Jr has three straight double-digit point games.
- Jules Montgomery recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.