Southern Miss 79
(25-9, 10-8 away)
(20) Memphis 91
(30-4, 21-1 home)
Venue: Bank of Oklahoma Center
11:35AM ET / 8:35AM PT, March 16, 2013
||D Boardingham 19
||J Mills 17
||N Watson 4
||C Crawford 23
||A Thomas 8
||C Crawford 6
On Saturday, Mar. 16, Memphis topped Southern Miss 91-79 in double overtime to claim the Conference USA championship. The Tigers stay undefeated against Southern Miss this season at 3-0. Chris Crawford put on a show for the Tigers and put up a game-high 23 points (6 Ast 3 Reb), shooting five of 12 from three-point range. Adonis Thomas also had an excellent outing, scoring 19 points and adding eight rebounds. Memphis reaches the NCAA Tournament with a 30-4 record. During the regular season they finished first in Conference USA with a 16-0 conference record. Memphis knocked off Tulane (81-68), and Tulsa (85-74) on the road to the Conference USA championship game. Jonathan Mills recorded a double-double for the Golden Eagles on 15 points and 17 rebounds. Southern Miss (25-9) finished the regular season second in Conference USA with a 12-4 record. In reaching the conference championship, they defeated UAB (81-66) and Texas-El Paso (85-67).
Memphis Game Notes
- The win over Southern Miss extended the Memphis winning streak to six games.
- Memphis beat the spread by 7.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Tigers have beaten the spread.
- Memphis has played in one overtime game this season. Over the last five seasons, the Tigers have played in nine overtime games with a record of 6-3.
- The Tigers have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Memphis is 33-14 in close games.
- The Tigers have won every game this season (4-0) after recording 91 or more total points.
- Memphis has won 92 percent of the time this season (12-1) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- Memphis has won 95 percent of the time this season (18-1) when opponents record 11 or fewer assists.
- Memphis has won 93 percent of the time this season (14-1) after holding an opponent to under 30.8 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Memphis has won 88 percent of the time (15-2) when Geron Johnson has 10 points or more, 86 percent of the time (6-1) when Adonis Thomas has seven field goals made or more, and 86 percent of the time (12-2) when Joe Jackson has four free throws made or more.
- The Tigers have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past 15 games.
- Memphis has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Chris Crawford and Joe Jackson) accounted for 49.4 percent of the points.
- Chris Crawford has led the team in scoring in nine out of 34 games this season.
- Adonis Thomas has led the team in rebounding in six out of 34 games this season.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Geron Johnson.
- Adonis Thomas has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Joe Jackson's career.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Chris Crawford's career.
- Chris Crawford has four straight 20+ point games.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Shaq Goodwin.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- The Golden Eagles have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Miss is 31-27 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Daveon Boardingham and Dwayne Davis) accounted for 44.3 percent of the points.
- Jonathan Mills accounted for 39.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Daveon Boardingham has led the team in scoring three times in 34 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding 18 times in 34 games this season.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Neil Watson.
- Jerrold Brooks has three straight double-digit point games.
- Dwayne Davis has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jonathan Mills recorded a double-double. It was his fifth this season and ninth of his career.
- Jonathan Mills set career highs with 17 rebounds and 11 defensive rebounds.