On Friday, Mar. 15, UC Irvine took on Long Beach State and knocked off the 49ers 67-60 in the semifinals of the Big West Tournament. The Anteaters are now 2-1 against Long Beach State this season with the win. The Anteaters were led by Will Davis II, who got 14 points and nine rebounds. Alex Young had a game-high 18 points and added four assists. Michael Caffey finished with 14 points and nine rebounds for the 49ers. Long Beach State (19-13) finished the regular season first in the Big West with a 14-4 conference record. To get to the semifinals, Long Beach State beat Cal State Fullerton (75-66).
UC Irvine Game Notes
- The win over Long Beach State extended the UC Irvine winning streak to three games.
- UCI beat the spread by eight points. That makes the 15th time this season the Anteaters have beaten the spread.
- UC Irvine has won every game this season (4-0) after committing seven or fewer turnovers.
- The Anteaters have won 75 percent of the time this season (12-4) after recording 13 or more free throws made.
- UCI has won every game this season (12-0) when opponents record 60 or fewer total points.
- This season UC Irvine has won 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Chris McNealy has 13 points or more, 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Alex Young has six free throws made or more, and 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Will Davis II has nine rebounds or more.
- The top two scorers (Alex Young and Will Davis II) accounted for 47.7 percent of the points.
- Will Davis II accounted for 32.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Alex Young has led the team in scoring in four out of 34 games this season.
- Will Davis II has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 34 games this season.
- Chris McNealy has three straight double-digit point games.
- Chris McNealy had a career high with six offensive rebounds.
- Alex Young has four straight double-digit point games.
- Will Davis II has eight straight double-digit point games.
Long Beach State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Keala King and Tony Freeland) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Michael Caffey and Keala King) accounted for 42.5 percent of the rebounds.
- Keala King has led the team in scoring three times in 32 games this season.
- James Ennis has 32 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for James Ennis.