On Friday, Mar. 15, Texas-El Paso took on Southern Miss and was smoked by the Golden Eagles 85-67 in the semifinals of the Conference USA Tournament. The game got away from Texas-El Paso early, as they dug themselves a 48-31 hole at halftime and never got back into it. The Miners remain winless against Southern Miss this season at 0-2. Julian Washburn got 13 points and three rebounds in the Miners loss. C.J. Cooper scored a career-high 20 points. For the Golden Eagles, Neil Watson got eight points on 60 percent shooting. Texas-El Paso (18-14) finished the regular season third in Conference USA with a 10-6 record in conference play. To get to the semifinals, Texas-El Paso beat Houston (80-69).
Texas-El Paso Game Notes
- Texas-El Paso has lost 92 percent of the time this season (1-11) after recording 11 or fewer assists.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 42.9 percent or better this season, Texas-El Paso has lost 100 percent of the time (0-9).
- C.J. Cooper recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 11.
- The top two scorers (C.J. Cooper and Julian Washburn) accounted for 49.2 percent of the points.
- John Bohannon has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 32 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of C.J. Cooper's career.
- C.J. Cooper has three straight double-digit point games.
- C.J. Cooper had career highs with 20 points, six field goals made, and four three-pointers.
- Julian Washburn has five straight double-digit point games.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- Dwayne Davis accounted for 31.7 percent of the team's points.
- Jonathan Mills accounted for 34.4 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Dwayne Davis has led the team in scoring 11 times in 33 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Dwayne Davis's career.
- Dwayne Davis has four straight 20+ point games.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jonathan Mills recorded a double-double. It was his fourth this season and eighth of his career.