Penn State 66
(10-21, 2-10 away)
(6) Michigan 83
(26-6, 21-1 home)
Venue: United Center
2:25PM ET / 11:25AM PT, March 14, 2013
||D (DJ) Newbill 20
||R Travis 11
||J Marshall 7
||T Burke 21
||M McGary 11
||T Hardaway Jr 5
Penn State lost big against Michigan 83-66 in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. Penn State was only down 35-33 at the break, but Michigan broke it open in the second half and won by a big margin. The Nittany Lions now have a record of 1-8 versus AP-ranked teams this season. The Nittany Lions got a good performance from Devonte (DJ) Newbill, who got a team-high 20 points and six rebounds. Ross Travis got a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Mitch McGary recorded a double-double for the Wolverines on 10 points and 11 rebounds. Penn State (10-21) finished the regular season 12th in the Big Ten with a 2-16 record in conference play.
Penn State Game Notes
- Prior to this game, PSU played 52 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 12-40.
- Penn State has lost 92 percent of the time this season (1-11) after recording three or fewer three-pointers.
- Penn State has lost 75 percent of the time this season (2-6) after committing eight or more turnovers.
- When the opposition commits four or fewer turnovers this season, Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 36 or more rebounds this season, Penn State has lost 92 percent of the time (1-11).
- When the opposition records 19 or more free throws made this season, Penn State has lost 86 percent of the time (2-12).
- The Nittany Lions set a season high for field goals made (29).
- Penn State has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past four games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 22.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's points.
- Ross Travis accounted for 34.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring in 13 out of 31 games this season.
- Ross Travis has led the team in rebounding in 19 out of 31 games this season.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 15 straight double-digit point games.
- Ross Travis recorded the ninth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Ross Travis recorded a double-double. It was the fifth of his career.
- Sasa Borovnjak had a career high with seven field goals made.
Michigan Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Trey Burke and Nik Stauskas) accounted for 43.3 percent of the points.
- Mitch McGary accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (18) than the starters (16).
- Trey Burke has led the team in scoring 21 times in 32 games this season.
- Mitch McGary has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 18th 20-point game of Trey Burke's career.
- Trey Burke has four straight 20+ point games.
- Tim Hardaway Jr has three straight double-digit point games.
- Nik Stauskas has three straight double-digit point games.
- Mitch McGary recorded the fifth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mitch McGary recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
|A||Tim Hardaway Jr||35||15||1||5||1||0||1|
|B+||G. Robinson III||34||5||6||1||3||2||0|