Maryland vs. Duke: Full Game Preview
|Maryland||D Wells 13.0||A Len 8.0||P Howard 3.7|
|Duke||M Plumlee 17.2||M Plumlee 10.2||Q Cook 5.2|
Maryland meets Duke in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament at Greensboro Coliseum on Friday. It gets started at 7 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN 2 or ACC Network. The Terrapins defeated the Blue Devils 83-81 on Feb. 16 and are 2-10 against them over the past four years.
In their last outing, behind 21 points from Dezmine Wells, the Terrapins defeated Wake Forest 75-62 on Mar. 14. His 13.0 points per game is the highest mark on the team. For the Blue Devils, Mason Plumlee finished with 23 points and 13 rebounds in the 69-53 win over North Carolina on Mar. 9. He contributes a team-leading 17.2 points per game, 10.2 rebounds per game, and 1.5 blocks per game.
Duke has a statistical edge over Maryland in a single key area, scoring, where the Blue Devils have the upper hand over the Terrapins, 78.3 points per game to 71.1 points per game. Duke can be found near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: turnover percentage at 15.6 and effective field goal percentage at 54.4.
- Maryland has an average margin of victory of 8 over Duke in 24 wins since 1980.
- Maryland has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Duke ($35,455 vs. $53,157).
- Dezmine Wells is ranked 10th in the ACC in assists.
- Duke has to pay up to win. The coach for Maryland has a much lower base salary than Duke ($1,976,334 vs. $4,095,909).
- Alex Len is ranked 4th in the ACC in rebounds and 2nd in the ACC in blocks.
- Maryland attacks the glass, with more rebounds (40.9 per game vs. 34.0 per game) than Duke this season.
- Maryland has a much lower in-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Duke ($19,040 vs. $53,157).
- Maryland is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Maryland is 78.5 inches compared to 77.5 inches for Duke.
- The Maryland blocks leader (Alex Len, 62 blocks) has more blocks than the Duke blocks leader (Mason Plumlee, 48 blocks).