Super middleweight boxing champion Andre Ward has denied that he's looking to challenge undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr., according to BoxingScene.com's Edward Chaykovsky on Friday.
According to Ward, his comments about a potential drop in weight were in response to a hypothetical question he was asked, and were in no way intended to stir up drama between him and the 36-year-old Mayweather, who's currently a champion of five divisions.
The two fighters' camps have been firing back at one another over the past few days following Ward's comments about potentially fighting Mayweather in the future.
Ward put the drama to rest, however, responding with the following (via FightHype.com's Ben Thompson):
I've been in boxing a long time and rule number 1 is you don't call somebody out that's three weight classes lower than you. You also don't call somebody out who has a fight coming up, and I'm not in position to call anybody out right now because I'm rehabbing my shoulder. I'm not a guy that says things for shock value or says things to get headlines.
The 29-year-old Ward went on to mention that he has no problems with Mayweather and that he still respects what Mayweather has done for the sport of boxing over his lengthy and decorated career.
Ward last fought in September 2012, defeating Chad Dawson via technical knockout. Meanwhile, Mayweather is set to defend his WBC welterweight title on May 4 in a fight against Roberto Guerrero at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It will be Mayweather's first fight in nearly a year; he defeated Miguel Cotto via unanimous decision on May 5 of last year in Las Vegas.
Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) and Mayweather (43-0, 26 KOs) are both undefeated and considered the two best pound-for-pound boxers on the planet right now.
Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter.