Notre Dame turned the ball over only seven times and came out on top against Marquette 73-65 in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. The Fighting Irish now have a record of 5-3 versus AP-ranked teams this season. The Fighting Irish got the win with 17 points and six rebounds (6 Ast 3 Stl) from Jerian Grant. Garrick Sherman had 16 points and added six rebounds. Jamil Wilson got a team-high 16 points and four rebounds for the Golden Eagles. Marquette (23-8) finished the regular season first in the Big East with a 14-4 conference record.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- The last time ND started the season 25-8 was 2007.
- ND beat the spread by 10.5 points. That makes the 16th time this season the Fighting Irish have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, ND played 56 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 26-30.
- The Fighting Irish have won every game this season (14-0) after recording 73 or more total points.
- Notre Dame has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after committing seven or fewer turnovers.
- ND has won every game this season (5-0) when opponents record zero or fewer blocks.
- This season Notre Dame has won 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Jerian Grant has 17 points or more, 80 percent of the time (8-2) when Pat Connaughton plays 35 minutes or more, and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Garrick Sherman has six field goals made or more.
- The top two scorers (Pat Connaughton and Jerian Grant) accounted for 47.9 percent of the points.
- Pat Connaughton has led the team in scoring in three out of 33 games this season.
- Pat Connaughton has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Jack Cooley.
Marquette Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jamil Wilson and Junior Cadougan) accounted for 46.1 percent of the points.
- Jamil Wilson has led the team in scoring seven times in 31 games this season.
- Davante Gardner has led the team in rebounding nine times in 31 games this season.
- Vander Blue has three straight double-digit point games.
- Jamil Wilson has five straight double-digit point games.