Oklahoma State edged Baylor 74-72 in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. It looked like it was going to be all Oklahoma State after they took a 42-24 halftime lead, but Baylor got back in the game and made it close in the second half. The Cowboys improve to 2-1 against Baylor this season with the win. The Cowboys got the win with 11 points and seven rebounds from Markel Brown. Marcus Smart put up his third straight game with 21 points or more, scoring a team-high 21 points in 37 minutes. For the Bears, Pierre Jackson finished with a game-high 31 points and four rebounds. Baylor (18-14) finished the regular season sixth in the Big 12 with a 9-9 conference record.
Oklahoma State Game Notes
- The Cowboys have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Oklahoma State is 30-20 in close games.
- Oklahoma State has won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) when its field goal percentage has been 45.8 percent or better.
- The Cowboys have won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) after recording 74 or more total points.
- OSU has won every game this season (11-0) after holding an opponent to under 36.7 percent field goal percentage.
- OSU has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record three or fewer steals.
- This season Oklahoma State has won 79 percent of the time (22-6) when Markel Brown has 11 points or more, 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Michael Cobbins plays 34 minutes or more, and 74 percent of the time (14-5) when Marcus Smart has four field goals made or more.
- The top two scorers (Marcus Smart and Le`Bryan Nash) accounted for 47.2 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Michael Cobbins and Markel Brown) accounted for 46.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Marcus Smart has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 31 games this season.
- Michael Cobbins has led the team in rebounding in six out of 31 games this season.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Marcus Smart's career.
- Marcus Smart has three straight 20+ point games.
- Markel Brown has four straight double-digit point games.
- Le`Bryan Nash has six straight double-digit point games.
Baylor Game Notes
- The Bears have lost eight times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Baylor is 28-18 in close games.
- Pierre Jackson accounted for 43.0 percent of the team's points.
- Rico Gathers accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Pierre Jackson has led the team in scoring 20 times in 32 games this season.
- Rico Gathers has led the team in rebounding eight times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Pierre Jackson's career.
- Pierre Jackson has three straight 20+ point games.
- Pierre Jackson set a career high with 13 free throws made.
- Cory Jefferson recorded the 12th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Cory Jefferson recorded a double-double. It was his 10th this season and 11th of his career.
- Rico Gathers recorded the sixth double-digit rebound game of his career.