George Washington 72
(13-17, 5-10 away)
(20-10, 12-6 home)
Venue: Barclays Center
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, March 14, 2013
||K Larsen 17
||I Armwood 13
||L Kromah 4
||C Williams 16
||M Esho 6
||C Williams 8
On an evening when they outscored the Colonials 21-0 from beyond the three-point line, Massachusetts knocked off George Washington 77-72 in the first round of the A-10 Tournament. The Minutemen tie the season series against George Washington at 1-1 with the win. Chaz Williams had a big game for the Minutemen and put up a team-high 16 points and eight assists (4 Reb 3 Stl). Raphiael Putney had 12 points and added five rebounds. Isaiah Armwood registered a double-double for the Colonials on 16 points and 13 rebounds. George Washington (13-17) finished the regular season 11th in the A-10 with a 7-9 conference record.
Massachusetts Game Notes
- The last time UMASS started the season 20-10 was 2011.
- UMASS beat the spread by 2.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Minutemen have beaten the spread.
- The Minutemen have won 11 close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Massachusetts is 36-27 in close games.
- The Minutemen have won every game this season (6-0) after recording 10 or more steals.
- Massachusetts has won 80 percent of the time this season (12-3) when its field goal percentage has been 45.2 percent or better.
- UMASS has won every game this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 38.8 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Massachusetts has won 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Sampson Carter plays 31 minutes or more, 86 percent of the time (6-1) when Chaz Williams has seven field goals made or more, and 100 percent of the time (10-0) when Maxie Esho has six rebounds or more.
- The Minutemen have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past six games.
- Chaz Williams has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 30 games this season.
- Maxie Esho has led the team in rebounding in six out of 30 games this season.
- Terrell Vinson has six straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Terrell Vinson.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Cady Lalanne.
George Washington Game Notes
- The Colonials have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, George Washington is 22-27 in close games.
- Isaiah Armwood recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with nine.
- The top two scorers (Kevin Larsen and Isaiah Armwood) accounted for 45.8 percent of the points.
- Kevin Larsen has led the team in scoring seven times in 30 games this season.
- Isaiah Armwood has led the team in rebounding 22 times in 30 games this season.
- Isaiah Armwood recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Isaiah Armwood has three straight double-digit point games.
- Isaiah Armwood recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 10th of his career.
- Isaiah Armwood set a career high with nine offensive rebounds.
- Lasan Kromah has four straight double-digit point games.