North Dakota held Southern Utah to only 28.8 percent from the floor and waxed the Thunderbirds 69-52 in the quarterfinals of the Big Sky Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. North Dakota had a small 28-25 lead at halftime, but then put Southern Utah away with a big second half. The Fighting Sioux now have a record of 2-1 against Southern Utah this season. The Fighting Sioux got a double-double out of Mitch Wilmer with 11 points and 14 rebounds. Troy Huff also had an outstanding game, scoring a team-high 15 points and adding seven rebounds (4 Ast 4 Stl). For the Thunderbirds, Jackson Stevenett got a game-high 15 points and four rebounds. Southern Utah (11-20) finished the regular season seventh in the Big Sky with an 8-12 conference record.
North Dakota Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:00 left to go.
- The win over Southern Utah extended the North Dakota winning streak to four games.
- UND beat the spread by 15 points. That makes the 15th time this season the Fighting Sioux have beaten the spread.
- The Fighting Sioux have won every game this season (7-0) after recording 42 or more rebounds.
- North Dakota has won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) when its three-point percentage has been 47.4 percent or better.
- UND has won every game this season (6-0) when opponents record 52 or fewer total points.
- UND has won every game this season (7-0) after holding an opponent to under 26.3 percent three-point percentage.
- This season North Dakota has won 80 percent of the time (8-2) when Troy Huff plays 35 minutes or more.
- Mitch Wilmer recorded a team season high in rebounds with 14 and defensive rebounds with 11.
- The top two scorers (Troy Huff and Aaron Anderson) accounted for 42.0 percent of the points.
- Mitch Wilmer accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Troy Huff has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 31 games this season.
- Mitch Wilmer has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 31 games this season.
- Troy Huff has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Mitch Wilmer recorded the second double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mitch Wilmer recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Mitch Wilmer had career highs with 14 rebounds, 11 defensive rebounds, and four blocks.
Southern Utah Game Notes
- This loss extended the Thunderbirds losing streak to five games.
- The top two scorers (Jackson Stevenett and Chris Nsenki) accounted for 44.2 percent of the points.
- Jackson Stevenett has led the team in scoring 17 times in 31 games this season.
- Jordan Johnson set career highs with eight rebounds and eight defensive rebounds.