Southern Utah was easily defeated by North Dakota 69-52 in the quarterfinals of the Big Sky Tournament on an evening when they shot just 28.8 percent. This one looked like it would be close until the end with Southern Utah down only 28-25 at the half, but North Dakota came out and ran away with it in the second half. The loss drops the Thunderbirds to 1-2 against North Dakota this season. Jackson Stevenett put up a game-high 15 points and four rebounds in the Thunderbirds loss. Damon Heuir had eight points and added six rebounds. Mitch Wilmer registered a double-double for the Fighting Sioux on 11 points and 14 rebounds. This makes five losses in a row for the Thunderbirds. Southern Utah (11-20) finished the regular season seventh in the Big Sky with an 8-12 record in conference play.
Southern Utah Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:00 left to go.
- The last time SUU started the season 11-20 was 2008.
- Southern Utah has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after committing 10 or more turnovers.
- Southern Utah has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-7) after recording nine or fewer assists.
- The Thunderbirds have lost 75 percent of the time this season (3-9) after having a three-point percentage of 26.3 percent or worse.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 47.4 percent or better this season, Southern Utah has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 49.0 percent or better this season, Southern Utah has lost 100 percent of the time (0-9).
- When the opposition records 42 or more rebounds this season, Southern Utah has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- SUU set a season low for field goal percentage (28.8).
- Southern Utah has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Jackson Stevenett and Chris Nsenki) accounted for 44.2 percent of the points.
- Jackson Stevenett has led the team in scoring in 17 out of 31 games this season.
- Jordan Johnson had career highs with eight rebounds and eight defensive rebounds.
North Dakota Game Notes
- Mitch Wilmer recorded a team season high in rebounds with 14 and defensive rebounds with 11.
- The top two scorers (Troy Huff and Aaron Anderson) accounted for 42.0 percent of the points.
- Mitch Wilmer accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Troy Huff has led the team in scoring 15 times in 31 games this season.
- Mitch Wilmer has led the team in rebounding nine times in 31 games this season.
- Troy Huff has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Mitch Wilmer recorded the second double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mitch Wilmer recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Mitch Wilmer set career highs with 14 rebounds, 11 defensive rebounds, and four blocks.