Mississippi State 53
(10-22, 2-14 away)
(20-11, 15-4 home)
Venue: Bridgestone Arena
3:40PM ET / 12:40PM PT, March 14, 2013
||C Sword 19
||T Bloodman 7
||C Borchert 2
||J McRae 17
||J Stokes 9
||J Richardson 4
On Thursday, Mar. 14, Tennessee took on Mississippi State and easily knocked off the Bulldogs 69-53 in the second round of the SEC Tournament. The game was never in question, with Tennessee taking an insurmountable 35-19 lead into the locker room at halftime. With the win, the Volunteers remain unbeaten against Mississippi State this season at 2-0. The Volunteers were led by Jarnell Stokes, who put up 10 points and nine rebounds. Jordan McRae had a team-high 17 points and added three rebounds. For the Bulldogs, Craig Sword got a game-high 19 points and three rebounds. Mississippi State (10-22) finished the regular season 13th in the SEC with a 4-14 conference record. To get to the second round, Mississippi State beat South Carolina (70-59).
Tennessee Game Notes
- The last time Tennessee started the season 20-11 was 2008.
- The win over Mississippi State extended the Tennessee winning streak to three games.
- Tennessee beat the spread by four points. That makes the 18th time this season the Volunteers have beaten the spread.
- The Volunteers have won every game this season (6-0) after recording seven or more steals.
- Tennessee has won every game this season (5-0) when its field goal percentage has been 51.8 percent or better.
- Tennessee has won 82 percent of the time this season (14-3) when opponents record three or fewer blocks.
- Tennessee has won 78 percent of the time this season (7-2) after holding an opponent to under 21.4 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Tennessee has won 80 percent of the time (16-4) when Jarnell Stokes has 10 points or more, 91 percent of the time (10-1) when Trae Golden plays 33 minutes or more, and 100 percent of the time (7-0) when Skylar McBee has three three-pointers or more.
- The Volunteers set season highs for field goals made (29) and steals (seven).
- The top two scorers (Jordan McRae and Trae Golden) accounted for 46.3 percent of the points.
- Jordan McRae has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 31 games this season.
- Jarnell Stokes has led the team in rebounding in 20 out of 31 games this season.
- Jordan McRae has nine straight double-digit point games.
- Trae Golden has three straight double-digit point games.
- Jarnell Stokes has three straight double-digit point games.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- Craig Sword accounted for 35.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Trivante Bloodman and Gavin Ware) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Craig Sword has led the team in scoring seven times in 32 games this season.
- Colin Borchert has three straight double-digit point games.