Arizona State lost to UCLA 80-75 in the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. The Sun Devils stay winless versus AP-ranked teams at 0-4 for the season. The Sun Devils got a good effort from Jahii Carson, who put up 21 points and seven assists. Jordan Bachynski had a game-high 22 points and added six rebounds. For the Bruins, Larry Drew II got a career-high 20 points and four rebounds. Arizona State (21-12) finished the regular season sixth in the Pac-12 with a 9-9 record in conference play. To get to the quarterfinals, Arizona State took down Stanford (89-88).
Arizona State Game Notes
- The last time ASU started the season 21-12 was 2007.
- The Sun Devils have been unlucky seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Arizona State is 30-25 in close games.
- Prior to this game, ASU played 20 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 6-14.
- Arizona State has lost 89 percent of the time this season (1-8) after recording 31 or fewer rebounds.
- The Sun Devils have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past four games.
- Arizona State has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the second loss of the season where the Sun Devils opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Jordan Bachynski and Jahii Carson) accounted for 57.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jonathan Gilling and Jahii Carson) accounted for 41.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Jonathan Gilling has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 33 games this season.
- This marks the 16th 20-point game of Jahii Carson's career.
- Jahii Carson has 18 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Jordan Bachynski's career.
- Jordan Bachynski had a career high with 22 points.
UCLA Game Notes
- The Bruins won this one, but have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, UCLA is 37-21 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Larry Drew II and Shabazz Muhammad) accounted for 45.0 percent of the points.
- Shabazz Muhammad has led the team in rebounding seven times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Larry Drew II's career.
- Larry Drew II set career highs with 20 points, eight field goals made, four three-pointers, and a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- Jordan Adams has three straight double-digit point games.
- Shabazz Muhammad has 16 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Shabazz Muhammad.