(19) Syracuse 62
(25-8, 7-6 away)
(17) Pittsburgh 59
(24-8, 18-4 home)
Venue: Madison Square Garden
2:35PM ET / 11:35AM PT, March 14, 2013
||J Southerland 20
||C Fair 7
||M Carter-Williams 7
||L Patterson 14
||L Patterson 11
||J Robinson 4
On Thursday, Mar. 14, Syracuse took on Pittsburgh and won by a slim margin against the Panthers 62-59 in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament. With the win, the Orange move to 4-4 versus AP-ranked teams this season. James Southerland played well for the Orange and got a game-high 20 points, shooting six of six from three-point range. Michael Carter-Williams had 11 points and added seven assists (6 Reb 3 Stl). Lamar Patterson registered a double-double for the Panthers on a team-high 14 points and 11 rebounds. Pittsburgh (24-8) finished the regular season fourth in the Big East with a 12-6 conference record.
Syracuse Game Notes
- Syracuse started 25-8 during the 2008 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- SU beat the spread by five points. That makes the 15th time this season the Orange have beaten the spread.
- The Orange have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Syracuse is 30-16 in close games.
- Prior to this game, SU played 59 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 34-25.
- Syracuse has won 93 percent of the time this season (13-1) when its field goal percentage has been 46.8 percent or better.
- Syracuse has won 86 percent of the time this season (12-2) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- SU has won 94 percent of the time this season (17-1) when opponents record 11 or fewer free throws made.
- SU has won 88 percent of the time this season (14-2) after holding an opponent to under 37.5 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Syracuse has won 86 percent of the time (18-3) when Brandon Triche has 12 points or more, 73 percent of the time (16-6) when C.J. Fair has five field goals made or more, and 91 percent of the time (10-1) when Michael Carter-Williams has six rebounds or more.
- The Orange set season highs for three-pointers (12) and three-point percentage (63.2).
- The last time SU recorded at least 12 three-pointers was Mar 09, 2012 against Cincinnati.
- James Southerland accounted for 32.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (C.J. Fair and James Southerland) accounted for 46.4 percent of the rebounds.
- James Southerland has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 33 games this season.
- C.J. Fair has led the team in rebounding in 15 out of 33 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of James Southerland's career.
- James Southerland had a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- C.J. Fair had a career high with three three-pointers.
- Baye Keita had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
Pittsburgh Game Notes
- The Panthers have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Pittsburgh is 25-23 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Lamar Patterson and Tray Woodall) accounted for 44.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Lamar Patterson and Steven Adams) accounted for 45.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Lamar Patterson has led the team in scoring eight times and in rebounding eight times in 32 games this season.
- Tray Woodall has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Lamar Patterson recorded the sixth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Lamar Patterson recorded a double-double. It was his third this season and fifth of his career.
- Lamar Patterson set career highs with 11 rebounds and six offensive rebounds.