(19) Syracuse 62
(25-8, 7-6 away)
(17) Pittsburgh 59
(24-8, 18-4 home)
Venue: Madison Square Garden
2:35PM ET / 11:35AM PT, March 14, 2013
||J Southerland 20
||C Fair 7
||M Carter-Williams 7
||L Patterson 14
||L Patterson 11
||J Robinson 4
Pittsburgh suffered a close loss to Syracuse 62-59 in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. With the loss, the Panthers are now 3-6 versus AP-ranked teams this season. Lamar Patterson got a team-high 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Panthers, earning a double-double. Tray Woodall had 12 points and added three assists. James Southerland got a game-high 20 points for the Orange, making six of six from three-point range. Pittsburgh (24-8) finished the regular season fourth in the Big East with a 12-6 record in conference play.
Pittsburgh Game Notes
- The last time Pittsburgh started the season 24-8 was 2009.
- The Panthers have been unlucky five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Pittsburgh is 25-23 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Pittsburgh played 50 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 25-25.
- The Panthers have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past four games.
- Pittsburgh has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Lamar Patterson and Tray Woodall) accounted for 44.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Lamar Patterson and Steven Adams) accounted for 45.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Lamar Patterson has led the team in scoring eight times and in rebounding 8 times in 32 games this season.
- Tray Woodall has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Lamar Patterson recorded the sixth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Lamar Patterson recorded a double-double. It was his third this season and fifth of his career.
- Lamar Patterson had career highs with 11 rebounds and six offensive rebounds.
Syracuse Game Notes
- The Orange won this one, but have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Syracuse is 30-16 in close games.
- James Southerland accounted for 32.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (C.J. Fair and James Southerland) accounted for 46.4 percent of the rebounds.
- James Southerland has led the team in scoring 10 times in 33 games this season.
- C.J. Fair has led the team in rebounding 15 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of James Southerland's career.
- James Southerland set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- C.J. Fair set a career high with three three-pointers.
- Baye Keita set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.