Southern Miss smoked UAB 81-66 in the quarterfinals of the Conference USA Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 14. With the win, the Golden Eagles stay undefeated against UAB this season at 3-0. The Golden Eagles got the win with a game-high 23 points and five assists (4 Reb 4 Stl) from Neil Watson. Jerrold Brooks had 13 points and added eight rebounds. Rod Rucker got a team-high 20 points and seven rebounds for the Blazers. UAB (16-17) finished the regular season seventh in Conference USA with a 7-9 conference record. To get to the quarterfinals, UAB beat Southern Methodist (53-52).
Southern Miss Game Notes
- USM beat the spread by 9.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- Southern Miss has won every game this season (11-0) when its field goal percentage has been 52.7 percent or better.
- The Golden Eagles have won 92 percent of the time this season (12-1) after recording 29 or more field goals made.
- USM has won every game this season (11-0) when opponents record 25 or fewer rebounds.
- USM has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) after holding an opponent to under 29.2 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Southern Miss has won 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Jerrold Brooks has 13 points or more, 88 percent of the time (7-1) when Dwayne Davis plays 35 minutes or more, and 71 percent of the time (5-2) when Neil Watson has three three-pointers or more.
- The top two scorers (Neil Watson and Dwayne Davis) accounted for 53.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jonathan Mills and Jerrold Brooks) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Neil Watson has led the team in scoring in four out of 32 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding in 16 out of 32 games this season.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Dwayne Davis's career.
- Dwayne Davis has three straight 20+ point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Neil Watson's career.
UAB Game Notes
- Rod Rucker accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Rod Rucker and Robert Williams) accounted for 48.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Rod Rucker has led the team in scoring 15 times and in rebounding 22 times in 33 games this season.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Jordan Swing.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Rod Rucker's career.
- Rod Rucker has seven straight double-digit point games.