Rutgers allowed 30 points from three-point territory to Notre Dame and fell to the Fighting Irish 69-61 in the second round of the Big East Tournament on Wednesday, Mar. 13. The Scarlet Knights now have a record of 1-9 versus AP-ranked teams this season. Myles Mack put up 18 points and four rebounds in a losing effort. Austin Johnson had a career-high 18 points and added six rebounds. Pat Connaughton finished with a season-high 21 points for the Fighting Irish, making six of eight from three-point range. Rutgers (15-16) finished the regular season 12th in the Big East with a 5-13 record in conference play. To get to the second round, Rutgers outplayed DePaul (76-57).
Rutgers Game Notes
- Rutgers started 15-16 during the 2010 and 2009 seasons (since 1996).
- Prior to this game, Rutgers played 46 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 7-39.
- Rutgers has lost 80 percent of the time this season (2-8) after recording five or fewer steals.
- The Scarlet Knights have lost 75 percent of the time this season (4-12) after having a field goal percentage of 41.9 percent or worse.
- Rutgers set a season low for turnovers (six).
- The Scarlet Knights have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Austin Johnson and Myles Mack) accounted for 59.0 percent of the points.
- Kadeem Jack has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 31 games this season.
- Myles Mack has four straight double-digit point games.
- Austin Johnson had career highs with 18 points and eight field goals made.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- Pat Connaughton accounted for 30.4 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Tom Knight and Jack Cooley) accounted for 46.1 percent of the rebounds.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Pat Connaughton's career.