South Carolina lost to Mississippi State 70-59 in the first round of the SEC Tournament on Wednesday, Mar. 13. The Gamecocks go to 1-2 against Mississippi State this season with the loss. The Gamecocks got 11 points and five rebounds from Laimonas Chatkevicius. Brenton Williams had six points and added four rebounds. Fred Thomas finished with a season-high 21 points and three rebounds (5 Stl 3 Ast 3 Blk) for the Bulldogs. South Carolina (14-18) finished the regular season 12th in the SEC with a 4-14 record in conference play.
South Carolina Game Notes
- The last time USC started the season 14-18 was 2007.
- South Carolina has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-12) after recording 59 or fewer total points.
- The Gamecocks have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-12) after having a field goal percentage of 37.5 percent or worse.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 46.7 percent or better this season, South Carolina has lost 100 percent of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition records 12 or more steals this season, South Carolina has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition records five or more blocks this season, South Carolina has lost 81 percent of the time (3-13).
- The Gamecocks have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- South Carolina has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past eight games.
- The top two scorers (Bruce Ellington and Laimonas Chatkevicius) accounted for 40.6 percent of the points.
- Bruce Ellington has led the team in scoring in three out of 32 games this season.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for RJ Slawson.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Fred Thomas and Colin Borchert) accounted for 45.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Colin Borchert and Roquez Johnson) accounted for 47.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Fred Thomas has led the team in scoring eight times in 31 games this season.
- Colin Borchert has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 31 games this season.
- Roquez Johnson has four straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Fred Thomas's career.