On Wednesday, Mar. 13, UAB escaped Southern Methodist 53-52 in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament. The Blazers remain unbeaten against Southern Methodist this season at 2-0. The Blazers got the win with a game-high 17 points and nine rebounds from Jordan Swing. Rod Rucker scored 11 points and added seven rebounds. Jalen Jones recorded a double-double for the Mustangs with a team-high 13 points and 10 rebounds. Southern Methodist (15-17) finished the regular season 11th in Conference USA with a 5-11 conference record.
UAB Game Notes
- The Blazers have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, UAB is 39-25 in close games.
- UAB has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) when opponents record nine or fewer assists.
- This season UAB has won 71 percent of the time (5-2) when Jordan Swing has nine rebounds or more.
- The Blazers set a season high for steals (14).
- UAB set season lows for assists (10) and field goals made (17).
- Jordan Swing accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jordan Swing and Rod Rucker) accounted for 45.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Jordan Swing has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding 7 times in 32 games this season.
- Rod Rucker has six straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Rod Rucker.
- Jordan Swing has seven straight double-digit point games.
Southern Methodist Game Notes
- The Mustangs have lost seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Methodist is 24-37 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Jalen Jones and Cannen Cunningham) accounted for 46.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jalen Jones and Ryan Manuel) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Jalen Jones has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 16 times in 32 games this season.
- Nick Russell set a career high with four steals.
- Cannen Cunningham has five straight double-digit point games.
- Jalen Jones recorded the 10th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the 10th foul out of the season for Jalen Jones.
- Jalen Jones recorded a double-double. It was the ninth of his career.