On Wednesday, Mar. 13, Southern Methodist took on UAB and lost a close one to the Blazers 53-52 in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament. The Mustangs stay winless against UAB this season at 0-2. Jalen Jones picked up a double-double in the Mustangs loss including a team-high 13 points and 10 rebounds. Cannen Cunningham had 11 points and added four rebounds. For the Blazers, Jordan Swing got a game-high 17 points and nine rebounds. Southern Methodist (15-17) finished the regular season 11th in Conference USA with a 5-11 record in conference play.
Southern Methodist Game Notes
- SMU beat the spread by one points. That makes the 13th time this season the Mustangs have beaten the spread.
- The Mustangs have been unlucky seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Methodist is 24-37 in close games.
- Southern Methodist has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after recording 52 or fewer total points.
- The Mustangs set a season high for steals (13).
- The last time SMU recorded at least 13 steals was Feb 16, 2011 against Houston.
- SMU set season lows for field goals made (14) and field goal percentage (28.6).
- The Mustangs have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past five games.
- Southern Methodist has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past seven games.
- The top two scorers (Jalen Jones and Cannen Cunningham) accounted for 46.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jalen Jones and Ryan Manuel) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Jalen Jones has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 16 times in 32 games this season.
- Nick Russell had a career high with four steals.
- Cannen Cunningham has five straight double-digit point games.
- Jalen Jones recorded the 10th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the 10th foul out of the season for Jalen Jones.
- Jalen Jones recorded a double-double. It was the ninth of his career.
UAB Game Notes
- The Blazers won this one, but have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, UAB is 39-25 in close games.
- Jordan Swing accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jordan Swing and Rod Rucker) accounted for 45.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Jordan Swing has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding seven times in 32 games this season.
- Rod Rucker has six straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Rod Rucker.
- Jordan Swing has seven straight double-digit point games.