On a night when they shot 61.4 percent, Long Island won big over Mount St. Mary's 91-70 to claim the NEC championship. The game was still close at the half, with Long Island up 35-31 but Mount St. Mary's couldn't keep pace in the second half and was blown out. With the win, the Blackbirds are now 2-1 against Mount St. Mary's this season. The Blackbirds got the win with a career-high 31 points from C.J. Garner on 76.5 percent shooting in 38 minutes. Kenny Onyechi had 11 points and added seven rebounds. Long Island gets to the NCAA Tournament with a 20-13 record. During the regular season they finished second in the NEC with a 12-6 conference record. Long Island finished off Quinnipiac (91-83), and Wagner (94-82) on the path to the NEC championship game. Sam Prescott finished with a team-high 21 points and five rebounds for the Mountaineers. This makes five wins in a row for the Blackbirds. Mount St. Mary's (18-14) finished the regular season fifth in the NEC with an 11-7 record. In reaching the conference championship, they got the best of Bryant (75-69) and Robert Morris (69-60).
Long Island Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:45 left to go.
- The win over Mount St. Mary's extended the Long Island winning streak to five games.
- LIU beat the spread by 17.5 points. That makes the 3rd time this season the Blackbirds have beaten the spread.
- This was the fifth blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, LIU has been on the winning end of 18 blowout games.
- The Blackbirds have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 19 or more assists.
- LIU has won every game this season (7-0) after holding an opponent to under 29.0 percent three-point percentage.
- LIU has won 92 percent of the time this season (11-1) when opponents record 70 or fewer total points.
- This season Long Island has won 71 percent of the time (5-2) when C.J. Garner plays 38 minutes or more, 75 percent of the time (9-3) when Jamal Olasewere has 10 rebounds or more, and 73 percent of the time (16-6) when Jason Brickman has eight assists or more.
- The Blackbirds set a season high for field goals made (35).
- The Blackbirds have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--LIU has a 9.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- C.J. Garner recorded a team season high in field goals made with 13.
- C.J. Garner accounted for 34.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jamal Olasewere and Kenny Onyechi) accounted for 45.9 percent of the rebounds.
- C.J. Garner has led the team in scoring in seven out of 33 games this season.
- Jamal Olasewere has led the team in rebounding in 25 out of 33 games this season.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of C.J. Garner's career.
- C.J. Garner has four straight 20+ point games.
- C.J. Garner had career highs with 31 points and 13 field goals made.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded the 33rd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jamal Olasewere has six straight double-digit point games.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded a double-double. It was his 12th this season and 31st of his career.
Mount St. Mary's Game Notes
- This was the sixth blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Mount St. Mary's has been on the losing end of 21 blowout games.
- The top two scorers (Sam Prescott and Kristijan Krajina) accounted for 47.1 percent of the points.
- Sam Prescott has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 11 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Sam Prescott's career.
- Rashad Whack has five straight double-digit point games.