|Nebraska||D Talley 13.9||B Ubel 6.7||D Talley 2.5|
|Purdue||T Johnson 13.3||A Hammons 6.1||R Johnson 4.0|
Purdue takes on Nebraska in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament at United Center on Thursday. Tipoff is at 6:30 p.m. ET and you can catch it on ESPN 2. The Boilermakers defeated the Cornhuskers 65-56 on Jan. 16 and are 3-0 against them over the past four years.
In an 89-73 triumph over Minnesota on Mar. 9, D.J. Byrd put up 18 points and seven rebounds for the Boilermakers. He is averaging 10.2 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. For the Cornhuskers, Ray Gallegos finished with 22 points in the 74-60 loss to Iowa on Mar. 9. He averages 12.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.4 steals per game.
There are two key statistical areas where Purdue has an advantage. The Boilermakers have an edge in rebounding, 39.3 per game to 31.8 per game. Additionally, Purdue has the advantage over Nebraska in scoring, 65.3 points per game to 58.5 points per game.
- Purdue attacks the glass, with more rebounds (39.5 per game vs. 31.8 per game) than Nebraska this season.
- Purdue has more wins over the last 5 years than Nebraska (144 vs. 98).
- Purdue players are more experienced than Nebraska players (11,500 minutes played vs. 11,267 minutes played).
- Purdue has an average margin of victory of 15 over Nebraska in three wins since 2011.
- Purdue has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Nebraska (seven vs. zero).
- The Purdue blocks leader (A.J. Hammons, 62 blocks) has more blocks than the Nebraska blocks leader (Andre Almeida, 32 blocks).
- West Lafayette isn't as congested as Lincoln (population is significantly lower).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Purdue currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (995 to 945) than Nebraska, per the NCAA.
- Be afraid. Purdue has blown out more teams than Nebraska this season (five blowouts vs. zero).
- The Purdue assist leader (Ronnie Johnson, 125 assists) has more assists than the Nebraska assist leader (Dylan Talley, 76 assists).
- A for effort, but Purdue has emerged victorious against Nebraska the last three times they've played.