|Penn State||D (DJ) Newbill 16.3||R Travis 7.4||D (DJ) Newbill 4.0|
|Michigan||T Burke 19.2||M McGary 5.5||T Burke 6.7|
Penn State matches up against Michigan in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament at United Center on Thursday. Tipoff is at 2:25 p.m. ET and you can see it on Big Ten Network. The Nittany Lions defeated the Wolverines 84-78 on Feb. 27 and are 3-7 against them over the past four years.
The Nittany Lions fell 63-60 to Wisconsin on Mar. 10. Jermaine Marshall finished with 23 points and five rebounds in the loss. While contributing 4.6 rebounds per game, he also scores 15.3 points per game. For the Wolverines, Trey Burke finished with 20 points in the 72-71 loss to Indiana on Mar. 10. He puts up a team-leading 19.2 points per game, 6.7 assists per game, and 1.6 steals per game.
Michigan has a statistical edge over Penn State in two specific areas. The first is field goal percentage, where the Wolverines have the upper hand, 48 percent to 39 percent. Michigan also has an advantage in scoring, 75.7 points per game to 61.6 points per game. Areas of strength for Michigan include: turnover percentage at 14.2 and effective field goal percentage at 55.2.
- The Penn State blocks leader (Jonathan Graham, 25 blocks) has more blocks than the Michigan blocks leader (Mitch McGary, 20 blocks).
- Jermaine Marshall is ranked 6th in the Big Ten in points and 9th in the Big Ten in steals.
- The Penn State basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Michigan (86 percent vs. 36 percent).
- The Penn State rebounding leader (Ross Travis, 218 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Michigan rebounding leader (Glenn Robinson III, 169 rebounds).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Penn State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (980 to 1000) than Michigan, per the NCAA.
- Penn State has an average margin of victory of 9 over Michigan in 11 wins since 1993.
- Penn State has a much better NCSA Power Ranking than Michigan (No. 11 vs. No. 24).
- Penn State has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Michigan ($36,844 vs. $47,694).
- Boom! Penn State defeated Michigan by 6 points the last time they played (Feb 27, 2013).
- Ross Travis is ranked 6th in the Big Ten in rebounds.
|B+||Tim Hardaway Jr||0||15||5||2||1||1||2|
|B+||G. Robinson III||0||11||5||1||1||0||1|