Illinois State squared off with Northern Iowa on Friday, Mar. 8 and defeated the Panthers 73-65 in the quarterfinals of the Missouri Valley Tournament. The Redbirds now have a record of 1-2 against Northern Iowa this season. Tyler Brown picked up his fifth straight game with 21 points or more for the Redbirds, scoring a game-high 28 points on 58.8 percent shooting in 33 minutes. Jackie Carmichael played his way to a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Marc Sonnen got a team-high 16 points and two rebounds for the Panthers. Northern Iowa (18-14) finished the regular season third in the Missouri Valley with an 11-7 conference record.
Illinois State Game Notes
- IllSt beat the spread by 8.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Redbirds have beaten the spread.
- The Redbirds have won every game this season (5-0) after recording seven or more blocks.
- IllSt has won every game this season (9-0) when opponents record nine or fewer free throws made.
- IllSt has won 85 percent of the time this season (11-2) after holding an opponent to under 41.1 percent field goal percentage.
- The Redbirds have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 12 games.
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Redbirds came back after being down at halftime.
- Tyler Brown accounted for 38.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jackie Carmichael and Johnny Hill) accounted for 51.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Brown has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 32 games this season.
- Jackie Carmichael has led the team in rebounding in 25 out of 32 games this season.
- This marks the 23rd 20-point game of Tyler Brown's career.
- Tyler Brown has five straight 20+ point games.
- Johnny Hill has three straight double-digit point games.
- Johnny Hill had a career high with nine rebounds.
- Jackie Carmichael recorded the 40th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jackie Carmichael recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 35th of his career.
Northern Iowa Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Marc Sonnen and Anthony James) accounted for 47.6 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Seth Tuttle and Jake Koch) accounted for 46.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Marc Sonnen has led the team in scoring 10 times in 32 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 32 games this season.
- Marc Sonnen has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jake Koch has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Deon Mitchell.