|Southern Methodist||N Russell 14.2||J Jones 7.6||N Russell 4.4|
|UAB||R Rucker 14.5||R Rucker 8.3||T Jones 5.0|
UAB meets Southern Methodist in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament at Bank of Oklahoma Center on Wednesday. The game tips off at 4:30 p.m. EST. The Blazers defeated the Mustangs 74-69 on Mar. 2 and are 5-0 against them over the past four years.
In their last game on Mar. 9, Jordan Swing put up 19 points and seven rebounds for the Blazers in a loss to Memphis, 86-71. He is averaging 14.1 points per game and leads the team in steals with 1.2 per game. For the Mustangs, Cannen Cunningham put up 15 points and five rebounds in the 76-63 loss to Texas-El Paso on Mar. 9. He is averaging 9.3 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.9 blocks per game.
In terms of team stats, UAB has an advantage in a single key area, scoring, where the Blazers have an edge over the Mustangs, 72.2 points per game to 64.9 points per game.
Southern Methodist StatSmack
- UAB has a better conference record than Southern Methodist this season (7-9 vs. 5-11).
- UAB has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Southern Methodist (four vs. zero).
- UAB has a stronger schedule than Southern Methodist this season (SOS Rank: No. 108 vs. No. 229).
- UAB is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on UAB is 206 lbs compared to 199 lbs for Southern Methodist.
- UAB has a better record at home than Southern Methodist this season (11-4 vs. 7-7).
- UAB attacks the glass, with more rebounds (37.2 per game vs. 33.7 per game) than Southern Methodist this season.
- UAB has a better record in close games than Southern Methodist this season (5-4 vs. 4-6).
- The UAB scoring leader (Rod Rucker, 449 points) has more points than the Southern Methodist scoring leader (Nick Russell, 439 points).
- UAB has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (63.7 percent to 43.6 percent).
- UAB has an average margin of victory of 9 over Southern Methodist in eight wins since 1983.