Long Island 94
(19-13, 7-9 away)
(19-12, 12-3 home)
Venue: Spiro Sports Center
12:00PM ET / 9:00AM PT, March 09, 2013
||C Garner 23
||J Olasewere 12
||J Brickman 10
||J Williams 23
||K Ortiz 8
||K Ortiz 9
On a day when they shot 65.3 percent from the floor, Long Island got a win over Wagner 94-82 in the semifinals of the NEC Tournament. The Blackbirds now have a record of 1-2 against Wagner this season. C.J. Garner put up his third straight game with 23 points or more for the Blackbirds, scoring a team-high 23 points (5 Ast 4 Reb 3 Stl) on 66.7 percent shooting in 37 minutes. Jamal Olasewere played his way to a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. For the Seahawks, Kenneth Ortiz got 11 points and nine assists. Wagner (19-12) finished the regular season second in the NEC with a 12-6 conference record. To get to the semifinals, Wagner beat Central Connecticut State (72-50).
Long Island Game Notes
- The win over Wagner extended the Long Island winning streak to four games.
- LIU beat the spread by 18 points. That makes the 2nd time this season the Blackbirds have beaten the spread.
- The Blackbirds have won every game this season (6-0) after recording 32 or more field goals made.
- LIU has won 91 percent of the time this season (10-1) after holding an opponent to under 40.5 percent field goal percentage.
- LIU has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record four or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Long Island has won 100 percent of the time (4-0) when C.J. Garner has 23 points or more, 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Jamal Olasewere has 12 rebounds or more, and 82 percent of the time (9-2) when Jason Brickman has 10 assists or more.
- The Blackbirds set season highs for field goal percentage (65.3), three-point percentage (56.3), and turnovers (27).
- The last time LIU recorded at least 27 turnovers was Feb 22, 2003 against St. Francis (NY).
- The top two rebounders (Jamal Olasewere and Kenny Onyechi) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- C.J. Garner has led the team in scoring in six out of 32 games this season.
- Jamal Olasewere has led the team in rebounding in 24 out of 32 games this season.
- This game was the 22nd double-digit assist game of Jason Brickman's career.
- Jason Brickman recorded a double-double. It was his fifth this season and 10th of his career.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of C.J. Garner's career.
- C.J. Garner has three straight 20+ point games.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded the 32nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jamal Olasewere has five straight double-digit point games.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded a double-double. It was his 11th this season and 30th of his career.
- This was the eighth foul out of the season for E.J. Reed.
Wagner Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Jonathon Williams and Marcus Burton) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- Jonathon Williams has led the team in scoring 17 times in 31 games this season.
- Kenneth Ortiz has led the team in rebounding five times in 31 games this season.
- Marcus Burton has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Latif Rivers.
- This marks the 12th 20-point game of Jonathon Williams's career.
- Jonathon Williams has five straight 20+ point games.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Dwaun Anderson.