Illinois State 73
(18-14, 6-8 away)
Northern Iowa 65
(18-14, 13-5 home)
Venue: Scottrade Center
9:35PM ET / 6:35PM PT, March 08, 2013
||T Brown 28
||J Carmichael 10
||J Hill 3
||M Sonnen 16
||S Tuttle 9
||D Mitchell 5
On Friday, Mar. 8, Northern Iowa took on Illinois State and lost to the Redbirds 73-65 in the quarterfinals of the Missouri Valley Tournament. The Panthers are now 2-1 against Illinois State this season with the loss. The Panthers got a team-high 16 points and two rebounds from Marc Sonnen. Anthony James had 15 points and added four rebounds. Tyler Brown picked up his fifth straight game with 21 points or more for the Redbirds, scoring a game-high 28 points on 58.8 percent shooting in 33 minutes. Northern Iowa (18-14) finished the regular season third in the Missouri Valley with an 11-7 record in conference play.
Northern Iowa Game Notes
- The last time UNI started the season 18-14 was 2007.
- When the opposition records seven or more blocks this season, Northern Iowa has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 37 or more rebounds this season, Northern Iowa has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- When the opposition records 11 or more free throws made this season, Northern Iowa has lost 75 percent of the time (3-9).
- Northern Iowa has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past four games.
- This is the third loss of the season where the Panthers opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Marc Sonnen and Anthony James) accounted for 47.6 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Seth Tuttle and Jake Koch) accounted for 46.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Marc Sonnen has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 32 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle has led the team in rebounding in 17 out of 32 games this season.
- Marc Sonnen has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jake Koch has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Deon Mitchell.
Illinois State Game Notes
- Tyler Brown accounted for 38.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jackie Carmichael and Johnny Hill) accounted for 51.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Brown has led the team in scoring 15 times in 32 games this season.
- Jackie Carmichael has led the team in rebounding 25 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 23rd 20-point game of Tyler Brown's career.
- Tyler Brown has five straight 20+ point games.
- Johnny Hill has three straight double-digit point games.
- Johnny Hill set a career high with nine rebounds.
- Jackie Carmichael recorded the 40th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jackie Carmichael recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 35th of his career.