San Diego 72
(16-17, 4-9 away)
Brigham Young 69
(21-11, 13-3 home)
Venue: Orleans Arena
11:45PM ET / 8:45PM PT, March 08, 2013
||J Dee 25
||C Manresa 10
||C Anderson 6
||B Davies 20
||B Davies 9
||B Davies 8
Although they entered the game as a 10-point favorite, Brigham Young lost in an upset to San Diego 72-69 in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Tournament. With the loss, the Cougars go to 1-2 against San Diego this season. The Cougars got a good performance from Brandon Davies, who put up a team-high 20 points and nine rebounds. Matt Carlino scored 13 points and added seven rebounds. For the Toreros, Christopher Anderson finished with a season-high 16 points and six assists. Brigham Young (21-11) finished the regular season third in the West Coast with a 10-6 record in conference play.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- The Cougars have been unlucky three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Brigham Young is 20-16 in close games.
- Brigham Young has lost 82 percent of the time this season (2-9) after recording 69 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 18 or more free throws made this season, Brigham Young has lost 80 percent of the time (2-8).
- BYU set a season low for blocks (zero).
- The Cougars have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past four games.
- Brigham Young has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past five games.
- The top two scorers (Brandon Davies and Tyler Haws) accounted for 57.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Brandon Davies and Matt Carlino) accounted for 42.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Brandon Davies has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding 21 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 24th 20-point game of Brandon Davies's career.
- Brandon Davies has 16 straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Davies had a career high with eight assists.
- Matt Carlino had a career high with seven rebounds.
- This marks the 25th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Brock Zylstra.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Nate Austin.
San Diego Game Notes
- The Toreros won this one, but have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, San Diego is 26-32 in close games.
- Johnny Dee accounted for 34.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Manresa and Jito Kok) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Johnny Dee has led the team in scoring 22 times in 33 games this season.
- Chris Manresa has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the 14th 20-point game of Johnny Dee's career.
- Johnny Dee has four straight double-digit point games.
- Christopher Anderson has three straight double-digit point games.
- Christopher Anderson set a career high with 16 points.
- Chris Manresa recorded the 18th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Chris Manresa set a career high with 10 defensive rebounds.