North Texas 55
(12-20, 3-12 away)
LA Lafayette 74
(13-19, 11-5 home)
Venue: Convention Center Court - Hot Springs, AR
7:30PM ET / 4:30PM PT, March 08, 2013
||J Williams 19
||T Mitchell 12
||P Hardwick 5
||E Payton 20
||S Long 11
||E Payton 7
North Texas was destroyed by Louisiana 74-55 in the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament on Friday, Mar. 8. This one was close at the half, with North Texas down by four, but the Ragin Cajuns proved to be too much in the second half and ended up winning big. The Mean Green stay winless against Louisiana this season at 0-3. Jordan Williams put up a team-high 19 points and five rebounds in a losing effort. Tony Mitchell played his way to a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. For the Ragin Cajuns, Elfrid Payton got a game-high 20 points and seven rebounds. North Texas (12-20) finished the regular season ninth in the Sun Belt with a 7-13 record in conference play.
North Texas Game Notes
- North Texas has lost 86 percent of the time this season (1-6) after recording three or fewer steals.
- The Mean Green have lost 77 percent of the time this season (3-10) after having a field goal percentage of 37.3 percent or worse.
- North Texas has lost 75 percent of the time this season (4-12) after committing 14 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, North Texas has lost 100 percent of the time (0-11).
- When the opposition records 29 or more field goals made this season, North Texas has lost 100 percent of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition records 74 or more total points this season, North Texas has lost 91 percent of the time (1-10).
- Jordan Williams accounted for 34.5 percent of the team's points.
- Tony Mitchell accounted for 30.7 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jordan Williams has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 32 games this season.
- Tony Mitchell has led the team in rebounding in 22 out of 32 games this season.
- Tony Mitchell recorded the 24th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Tony Mitchell has four straight double-digit point games.
- Tony Mitchell recorded a double-double. It was his 10th this season and 20th of his career.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Chris Jones.
Louisiana Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Elfrid Payton and Bryant Mbamalu) accounted for 48.6 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Shawn Long and Elfrid Payton) accounted for 43.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Elfrid Payton has led the team in scoring 13 times in 32 games this season.
- Shawn Long has led the team in rebounding 28 times in 32 games this season.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Elfrid Payton's career.
- Elfrid Payton set a career high with five offensive rebounds.
- Alan-Michael Thompson has three straight double-digit point games.
- Shawn Long recorded the 19th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Shawn Long has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Shawn Long recorded a double-double. It was the 18th of his career.
- Bryant Mbamalu has four straight double-digit point games.