Loyola Marymount 60
(11-22, 6-13 away)
Santa Clara 58
(21-11, 14-6 home)
Venue: Orleans Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, March 08, 2013
||A Ireland 23
||A Osborne 11
||A Ireland 3
||K Foster 23
||M Trasolini 6
||B Clark 3
Even though they entered the game as a 10-point underdog, Loyola Marymount earned an upset win over Santa Clara 60-58 in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Tournament. The Lions improve to 2-1 against Santa Clara this season with the win. The Lions were led by Anthony Ireland, who put up a game-high 23 points and three rebounds (7 Stl 3 Ast). Alex Osborne had five points and added 11 rebounds. For the Broncos, John McArthur got four points and six rebounds. Santa Clara (21-11) finished the regular season fourth in the West Coast with a 9-7 conference record.
Loyola Marymount Game Notes
- The win over Santa Clara extended the Loyola Marymount winning streak to three games.
- LMU beat the spread by 12.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Lions have beaten the spread.
- The Lions have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Loyola Marymount is 29-27 in close games.
- LMU has won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) when opponents record 58 or fewer total points.
- Loyola Marymount has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past four games.
- Anthony Ireland recorded a team season high in steals with seven.
- Anthony Ireland accounted for 38.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Alex Osborne and Ashley Hamilton) accounted for 54.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Anthony Ireland has led the team in scoring in 28 out of 33 games this season.
- Alex Osborne has led the team in rebounding in eight out of 33 games this season.
- This marks the 30th 20-point game of Anthony Ireland's career.
- Anthony Ireland has 19 straight double-digit point games.
- Anthony Ireland had a career high with seven steals.
- Alex Osborne recorded the fourth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Alex Osborne had career highs with 11 rebounds and nine defensive rebounds.
- Ashley Hamilton has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Godwin Okonji.
Santa Clara Game Notes
- The Broncos have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Santa Clara is 29-33 in close games.
- Kevin Foster recorded a team season high in free throws made with 10.
- Kevin Foster accounted for 39.6 percent of the team's points.
- Kevin Foster has led the team in scoring 15 times in 32 games this season.
- Marc Trasolini has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 32 games this season.
- Marc Trasolini has four straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 52nd 20-point game of Kevin Foster's career.
- Kevin Foster has four straight double-digit point games.
|C||R. Cowels III||22||2||4||0||2||0||1|