Liberty vs. Gardner-Webb: Full Game Preview
|Liberty||J Caleb Sanders 13.6||J Coronado 8.2||J Caleb Sanders 3.5|
|Gardner-Webb||T Newsome 14.0||K Hartley 6.4||T Strange 4.1|
Liberty meets Gardner-Webb in the semifinals of the Big South Tournament at Paul Porter Arena on Saturday. It gets started at 2 p.m. EST and you can catch it on ESPN3.com. The Flames fell to the Bulldogs 71-68 on Feb. 9 and are 7-2 against them over the last four years.
In a 61-60 triumph over High Point on Mar. 7, Tavares Speaks put up 17 points and five rebounds for the Flames. He tallies 13.0 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.1 steals per game. For the Bulldogs, Tashan Newsome put up 15 points and five rebounds in the 71-57 win over Campbell on Mar. 7. His 14.0 points per game is the highest mark on the team. From a tempo-free perspective, Gardner-Webb is strong in offensive rebounding percentage at 36.1. This is good enough for second in the conference and 48th in the nation.
- Liberty has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (51.2 percent to 41.6 percent).
- Liberty has more wins over the last 5 years than Gardner-Webb (99 vs. 80).
- Davon Marshall is ranked 13th nationally in three-pointers.
- Liberty is a better three-point shooting team (36.6 percent vs. 32.6 percent) than Gardner-Webb this season.
- John Caleb Sanders is ranked 10th in the Big South in points and 9th in the Big South in assists.
- Liberty has come back to win after being down at half against Gardner-Webb three times since 2008.
- The Liberty scoring leader (John Caleb Sanders, 438 points) has more points than the Gardner-Webb scoring leader (Donta Harper, 399 points).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Liberty currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (969 to 962) than Gardner-Webb, per the NCAA.
- JR Coronado is ranked 38th nationally in rebounds.
- The Liberty rebounding leader (JR Coronado, 265 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Gardner-Webb rebounding leader (Kevin Hartley, 197 rebounds).
- The Liberty three-point leader (Davon Marshall, 89 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Gardner-Webb three-point leader (Kevin Hartley, 64 three-pointers).
|D||Joel Vander Pol||14||5||5||0||0||1||1|