San Diego vs. Brigham Young: Full Game Preview
|San Diego||J Dee 14.6||C Manresa 6.7||C Anderson 5.6|
|Brigham Young||T Haws 20.9||B Davies 7.8||M Carlino 4.4|
Brigham Young battles San Diego in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Tournament at Orleans Arena on Friday. Tipoff is at 11:30 p.m. EST and it can be seen on ESPN U. The Cougars lost to the Toreros 74-68 on Feb. 7 and are 4-1 against them over the last four years.
In a 73-70 triumph over Loyola Marymount on Mar. 2, Tyler Haws put up 24 points and six rebounds for the Cougars. At 20.9, he paces the team in points per game. For the Toreros, Chris Manresa finished with nine points and 11 rebounds in the 62-59 win over Pepperdine on Mar. 7. He is averaging 9.2 points per game in addition to a team-best 6.7 rebounds per game.
There is a single key statistical area where Brigham Young can exploit San Diego, scoring, where the Cougars have an edge over the Toreros, 76.7 points per game to 64.9 points per game.
San Diego StatSmack
- Brigham Young is ranked higher than San Diego in the West Coast (No. 3 vs. No. 5).
- Brigham Young has a much better NCSA Academic Ranking than San Diego (No. 71 vs. No. 110).
- Brigham Young attacks the glass, with more rebounds (38.2 per game vs. 32.3 per game) than San Diego this season.
- Brigham Young has been the favorite six out of the last seven times.
- Brigham Young has an average margin of victory of 17 over San Diego in six wins since 2001.
- Brigham Young has a stronger schedule than San Diego this season (SOS Rank: No. 100 vs. No. 113).
- Brandon Davies is ranked 29th nationally in points, 4th in the West Coast in rebounds, 7th in the West Coast in steals, and 5th in the West Coast in blocks.
- Matt Carlino is ranked 6th in the West Coast in assists and 47th nationally in steals.
- AP voters think more highly of Brigham Young and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than San Diego (65 vs. one).
- The Brigham Young rebounding leader (Brandon Davies, 241 rebounds) has more rebounds than the San Diego rebounding leader (Chris Manresa, 157 rebounds).
- Since 1998, Brigham Young has recruited more Top 50 high school players than San Diego (one vs. zero).