|UTEP||J Washburn 11.7||J Bohannon 6.4||J Streeter 5.0|
|Southern Methodist||J Jones 14.3||J Jones 7.7||N Russell 4.3|
On Saturday, Southern Methodist hosts Texas-El Paso at Moody Coliseum. Tipoff occurs at 3 p.m. EST and you can catch it on Time Warner Texas. The Mustangs lost to the Miners 63-54 on Jan. 19 and are 1-8 against them over the last four years.
Southern Methodist is in 11th place in the conference, Texas-El Paso is in third place.
The Mustangs got past Tulsa 71-65 on Mar. 6 with the help of 19 points and five rebounds from Nick Russell. He paces the team in assists per game with 4.3, and steals per game with 1.4. For the Miners, Julian Washburn finished with 19 points in the 56-54 loss to Memphis on Mar. 5. His 11.7 points per game is the highest mark on the team.
Texas-El Paso StatSmack
- Southern Methodist has come back to win after being down at half against Texas-El Paso three times since 1996.
- The Southern Methodist scoring leader (Nick Russell, 429 points) has more points than the Texas-El Paso scoring leader (Julian Washburn, 339 points).
- Nick Russell is ranked 10th in Conference USA in points, 7th in Conference USA in assists, and 9th in Conference USA in steals.
- Southern Methodist has an average margin of victory of 8 over Texas-El Paso in 14 wins since 1982.
- That must sting. Southern Methodist has blown out Texas-El Paso by 20 points or more on three occasions since 2002.
- Jalen Jones is ranked 10th in Conference USA in points and 6th in Conference USA in rebounds.
- Southern Methodist has a better record on the road than Texas-El Paso this season (6-7 vs. 3-7).
- The Southern Methodist rebounding leader (Jalen Jones, 232 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Texas-El Paso rebounding leader (John Bohannon, 174 rebounds).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Southern Methodist currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (943 to 915) than Texas-El Paso, per the NCAA.
- The Southern Methodist steals leader (Nick Russell, 43 steals) has more steals than the Texas-El Paso steals leader (McKenzie Moore, 29 steals).
- Since 1998, Southern Methodist has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Texas-El Paso (one vs. zero).