Penn State got a win on the road against Northwestern 66-59 in Big Ten play on Thursday, Mar. 7. With the win, the Nittany Lions even the season series against Northwestern at 1-1. The Nittany Lions were led by Jermaine Marshall, who put up a team-high 18 points and five rebounds. Nick Colella had seven points and added four assists. For the Wildcats, Alex Marcotullio got a career-high 22 points, including 6-of-9 shooting from three-point range. Penn State (10-18, 2-14 Big Ten) gets 22nd-ranked Wisconsin (20-9, 11-5 Big Ten) on their home court on Sunday, Mar. 10.
Penn State Game Notes
- PSU beat the spread by 12 points. That makes the 12th time this season the Nittany Lions have beaten the spread.
- The Nittany Lions have won 78 percent of the time this season (7-2) after recording 38 or more rebounds.
- PSU has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 59 or fewer total points.
- The top two scorers (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Jermaine Marshall) accounted for 54.5 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Sasa Borovnjak and Ross Travis) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 29 games this season.
- Sasa Borovnjak has led the team in rebounding in three out of 29 games this season.
- Nick Colella had a career high with four steals.
- Jermaine Marshall has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- Sasa Borovnjak recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Sasa Borovnjak recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Sasa Borovnjak had career highs with 10 rebounds and seven defensive rebounds.
Northwestern Game Notes
- This loss extended the Wildcats losing streak to seven games.
- Alex Marcotullio recorded a team season high in three-pointers with six and three pointers attempted with nine.
- Alex Marcotullio accounted for 37.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Reggie Hearn and Alex Olah) accounted for 43.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Reggie Hearn has led the team in rebounding six times in 30 games this season.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Dave Sobolewski.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Reggie Hearn.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Alex Marcotullio's career.
- Alex Marcotullio set career highs with 22 points, six field goals made, and six three-pointers.