On Thursday, Mar. 7, Virginia suffered a heartbreaking loss against Florida State 53-51 in conference play. The loss evens the season series between the two teams at 1-1. The Cavaliers got a double-double out of Akil Mitchell with a team-high 15 points and 12 rebounds. Joe Harris had 13 points. For the Seminoles, Okaro White finished with a game-high 17 points and six rebounds. Virginia (19-10, 9-7 ACC) takes on Maryland (20-10, 8-9 ACC) on Sunday, Mar. 10 at home.
Virginia Game Notes
- The last time UVA started the season 20-10 was 2006.
- The Cavaliers have been unlucky seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Virginia is 22-33 in close games.
- The Cavaliers have lost 83 percent of the time this season (1-5) after having a field goal percentage of 38.6 percent or worse.
- Virginia has lost 80 percent of the time this season (1-4) after recording five or fewer free throws made.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.7 percent or better this season, Virginia has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 44.4 percent or better this season, Virginia has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- UVA set season lows for assists (seven) and free throws made (five).
- The top two scorers (Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris) accounted for 54.9 percent of the points.
- Akil Mitchell accounted for 36.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in scoring seven times and in rebounding 23 times in 30 games this season.
- Joe Harris has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Akil Mitchell has four straight double-digit point games.
- Akil Mitchell recorded a double-double. It was his 10th this season and 11th of his career.
- Akil Mitchell had a career high with six offensive rebounds.
Florida State Game Notes
- The Seminoles won this one, but have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Florida State is 46-23 in close games.
- Okaro White accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's points.
- Okaro White has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 16 times in 30 games this season.
- Michael Snaer has three straight double-digit point games.