|Marshall||E Pittman 16.1||D Tinnon 9.2||D Kane 6.9|
|East Carolina||M Kemp 18.4||R Sampson 8.9||M Paul 6.7|
Marshall heads to Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum on Saturday to take on East Carolina. Tipoff occurs at 5 p.m. EST. The Thundering Herd beat the Pirates 77-56 on Jan. 19 and are 7-2 against them over the last four years.
Marshall is in eigth place in the conference, East Carolina is in fifth place.
In an 88-84 win over Southern Miss on Mar. 5, Elijah Pittman put up 22 points for the Thundering Herd. With 16.1 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. For the Pirates, Maurice Kemp finished with 29 points and nine rebounds in the 88-85 loss to Tulane on Mar. 6. He leads the team in points with 18.4 per game and steals with 1.7 per game.
Reviewing current performance metrics, East Carolina has an edge in one significant category, scoring, where the Pirates have the upper hand over the Thundering Herd, 76.9 points per game to 68.8 points per game. When considering the Four Factors, East Carolina performs well in turnover percentage at 17.8. This ranks first in the conference and 58th in the country.
East Carolina StatSmack
- Marshall has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (55.3 percent to 42.3 percent).
- The Marshall assist leader (DeAndre Kane, 180 assists) has more assists than the East Carolina assist leader (Miguel Paul, 175 assists).
- Marshall is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Marshall is 212 lbs compared to 203 lbs for East Carolina.
- Diaper Dandies love Marshall. Marshall has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than East Carolina (1 vs. 0).
- Marshall has an average margin of victory of 16 over East Carolina in 11 wins since 2005.
- Elijah Pittman is ranked 6th in Conference USA in points and 6th in Conference USA in three-pointers.
- Marshall has a better scoring defense (72.5 allowed per game vs. 84.1 allowed per game) than East Carolina this season.
- Nigel Spikes is ranked 10th in Conference USA in rebounds and 4th in Conference USA in blocks.
- That must sting. Marshall has blown out East Carolina by 20 points or more on three occasions since 2007.
- Dennis Tinnon is ranked 28th nationally in rebounds.
- D.D. Scarver is ranked 5th in Conference USA in three-pointers.