(8-25, 3-15 away)
Virginia Military 90
(14-16, 9-5 home)
Venue: HTC Center
2:15PM ET / 11:15AM PT, March 07, 2013
||M Kessens 36
||M Kessens 16
||L Woodhouse 9
||S Okoye 31
||S Okoye 9
||R Glasgow 6
Longwood fell to Virginia Military Institute 90-86 in the quarterfinals of the Big South Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 7. The Lancers stay winless against Virginia Military Institute this season at 0-3. Michael Kessens earned a double-double in the loss with a ridiculous 36 points and 16 rebounds. Lucas Woodhouse also had an excellent outing, scoring 16 points and adding nine assists. Stan Okoye recorded his third straight game with 31 points or more for the Keydets, scoring a team-high 31 points in 36 minutes. For the Keydets, Stan Okoye got a team-high 31 points and nine rebounds. Longwood (8-25) finished the regular season 11th in the Big South with a 4-12 record in conference play. To get to the quarterfinals, Longwood got the best of North Carolina-Asheville (87-72).
Longwood Game Notes
- Longwood beat the spread by 3.5 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Lancers have beaten the spread.
- The Lancers have been unlucky two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Longwood is 19-21 in close games.
- Longwood has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-6) after recording 10 or fewer assists.
- Longwood has lost 75 percent of the time this season (1-3) after committing 11 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition records 25 or more free throws made this season, Longwood has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.5 percent or better this season, Longwood has lost 91 percent of the time (2-20).
- When the opposition records 29 or more field goals made this season, Longwood has lost 89 percent of the time (2-16).
- Longwood set a season low for steals (two).
- Michael Kessens recorded a team season high in field goals made with 13, free throws made with 10, defensive rebounds with 14, and free throws attempted with 12.
- Michael Kessens accounted for 41.8 percent of the team's points.
- Michael Kessens accounted for 38.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Michael Kessens has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding 21 times in 33 games this season.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Michael Kessens's career.
- Michael Kessens recorded a double-double. It was the 11th of his career.
- Lucas Woodhouse has five straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Lucas Woodhouse.
- Tristan Carey has three straight double-digit point games.
- Karl Ziegler has six straight double-digit point games.
Virginia Military Institute Game Notes
- The Keydets won this one, but have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Virginia Military Institute is 24-14 in close games.
- Stan Okoye accounted for 34.4 percent of the team's points.
- Stan Okoye accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Stan Okoye has led the team in scoring 21 times and in rebounding 19 times in 30 games this season.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Rodney Glasgow's career.
- Rodney Glasgow has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 49th 20-point game of Stan Okoye's career.
- Stan Okoye has three straight 20+ point games.
- Stan Okoye set a career high with 12 free throws made.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of D.J. Covington's career.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for D.J. Covington.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Nick Gore.