Charleston Southern got a victory over Winthrop 54-47 in the quarterfinals of the Big South Tournament on Thursday, Mar. 7. With the win, the Buccaneers improve their record to 2-1 against Winthrop this season. Mathiang Muo earned a double-double in the Buccaneers win including a team-high 15 points and 11 rebounds. He shot five for 11 from three-point range. Saah Nimley had seven points and added four rebounds. For the Eagles, Gideon Gamble got 10 points and six rebounds. Winthrop (14-17) finished the regular season ninth in the Big South with a 6-10 conference record. To get to the quarterfinals, Winthrop took down Radford (60-58).
Charleston Southern Game Notes
- The last time CSU started the season 18-11 was 2011.
- Charleston Southern has won 80 percent of the time this season (8-2) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- CSU has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record 28 or fewer rebounds.
- This season Charleston Southern has won 88 percent of the time (7-1) when Mathiang Muo has 15 points or more and 83 percent of the time (15-3) when Saah Nimley has four assists or more.
- CSU set a season low for field goals made (14).
- The top two scorers (Mathiang Muo and Arlon Harper) accounted for 48.1 percent of the points.
- Mathiang Muo has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 7 times in 29 games this season.
- Mathiang Muo recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mathiang Muo recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Mathiang Muo had a career high with five offensive rebounds.
- Arlon Harper has five straight double-digit point games.
Winthrop Game Notes
- Gideon Gamble recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 10.
- Joab Jerome accounted for 31.9 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Steve Johnson and Gideon Gamble) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Joab Jerome has led the team in scoring 10 times in 31 games this season.
- Steve Johnson has led the team in rebounding three times in 31 games this season.
- Joab Jerome has nine straight double-digit point games.
- Gideon Gamble set a career high with four steals.