(14-17, 3-13 away)
Charleston Southern 54
(18-11, 12-3 home)
Venue: HTC Center
12:00PM ET / 9:00AM PT, March 07, 2013
||J Jerome 15
||G Gamble 6
||C Farmer 2
||M Muo 15
||M Muo 11
||S Nimley 4
On Thursday, Mar. 7, Winthrop took on Charleston Southern and fell to the Buccaneers 54-47 in the quarterfinals of the Big South Tournament. The loss drops the Eagles to 1-2 against Charleston Southern this season. The Eagles got 10 points and six rebounds from Gideon Gamble. Joab Jerome had 15 points and added three rebounds. Mathiang Muo recorded a double-double for the Buccaneers with a team-high 15 points and 11 rebounds. He made five of 11 from three-point range. Winthrop (14-17) finished the regular season ninth in the Big South with a 6-10 record in conference play. To get to the quarterfinals, Winthrop overcame Radford (60-58).
Winthrop Game Notes
- Winthrop beat the spread by one points. That makes the 3rd time this season the Eagles have beaten the spread.
- Winthrop has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-9) after recording 28 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition records 45 or more rebounds this season, Winthrop has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 19 or more free throws made this season, Winthrop has lost 75 percent of the time (2-6).
- When the opposition commits 10 or fewer turnovers this season, Winthrop has lost 75 percent of the time (3-9).
- Winthrop set season lows for field goals made (16), field goal percentage (32.0), three-point percentage (14.3), total points (47), and turnovers (eight).
- Winthrop has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- Gideon Gamble recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 10.
- Joab Jerome accounted for 31.9 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Steve Johnson and Gideon Gamble) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Joab Jerome has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 31 games this season.
- Steve Johnson has led the team in rebounding in three out of 31 games this season.
- Joab Jerome has nine straight double-digit point games.
- Gideon Gamble had a career high with four steals.
Charleston Southern Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Mathiang Muo and Arlon Harper) accounted for 48.1 percent of the points.
- Mathiang Muo has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding seven times in 29 games this season.
- Mathiang Muo recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mathiang Muo recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Mathiang Muo set a career high with five offensive rebounds.
- Arlon Harper has five straight double-digit point games.