Giants Win to Even World Series

Heroes Old and New for SF

Brewers GM Doug Melvin Hospitalized After Scorpion Sting at Spring Training

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Brewers GM Doug Melvin Hospitalized After Scorpion Sting at Spring Training
Photo Credit: CBS Sports

Spring training continues to be the most dangerous period on the baseball calendar, as evidenced by the recent scorpion sting suffered by Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, as reported by Brewers Blog (via CBSSports.com). 

MLB personnel are dropping like flies, and Melvin—who spent three hours in the emergency room—is but the latest victim in a string of freak injuries.

 

Update: Friday, March 8, 6:50 p.m. ET

For those curious, Busted Coverage happened upon this photo of the ghastly bugger that struck down a perfectly good general manager earlier this week, courtesy of Cory Melvin's Facebook page. 

Photo Credit: Cory Melvin Facebook (via Busted Coverage)

---End of update---

 

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman broke his ankle on a skydive, Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus missed a game after a painful tattoo and Joel Peralta hurt his neck getting out of his car to grab a sandwich. 

Here is how Melvin describes an episode which pretty much guarantees I am staying home for every spring training from here on out. I am also vowing to stay away from any and all Phoenix-area condos.

"I spent three hours in an emergency room in Scottsdale," Melvin said Thursday morning at the Brewers' Maryvale training complex. "My arm is still totally numb.

"It stung me right through the Kleenex. My arm started swelling and then the numbness started going up my arm, like when you hit your funny bone. I was wondering if it might go all the way up my arm and go to my heart. I got nervous when it got up to my shoulder, so I went to the emergency room.

"They gave me (pain medication) and just watched me for a couple of hours. They said your vision can go blurry from that. It was more an education on it but my arm is still numb. First off, they tell you it's not fatal. But you can have an allergic reaction to it and need an anti-venom injection."

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

According to the report, Melvin was stung on his left middle finger when he spotted what he described as a small, harmless bug in his condominium. 

For me, I have never used the words harmless and bug in the same sentence, so Melvin is already a much bigger man than I will ever be. 

A word of advice for those hoping to get bugs and insects out of the house: use a ridiculous amount of tissue.

Or you can always do what I do and get the wife to take care of it. 

 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

Out of Bounds

Sports Lists

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.