Iowa State vs. West Virginia: Full Game Preview
|Iowa State||W Clyburn 14.8||M Ejim 9.5||K Lucious 5.6|
|West Virginia||E Harris 9.8||A Murray 5.9||J Staten 3.4|
West Virginia welcomes Iowa State to WVU Coliseum on Saturday. It takes place at 1:30 p.m. EST and you can catch it on Big 12 Network. The Mountaineers lost to the Cyclones 69-67 on Jan. 16.
West Virginia is in seventh place in the conference and just behind fifth place Iowa State with a chance to close in. West Virginia is struggling, currently on a five-game losing streak.
In spite of 23 points from Eron Harris, the Mountaineers came up short 83-70 against Oklahoma on Mar. 6. With 9.8 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. In an 87-76 victory over Oklahoma State on Mar. 6, Will Clyburn put up 20 points and five rebounds for the Cyclones. His 14.8 points per game is the highest mark on the team.
Iowa State has a statistical edge over West Virginia in one specific area, scoring, where the Cyclones have the upper hand over the Mountaineers, 80 points per game to 65.8 points per game. A key area of strength for Iowa State is effective field goal percentage at 53.6, which ranks first in their conference (and 27th nationally).
Iowa State StatSmack
- West Virginia has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (65.4 percent to 54.6 percent).
- The West Virginia blocks leader (Aaric Murray, 41 blocks) has more blocks than the Iowa State blocks leader (Percy Gibson, 20 blocks).
- Juwan Staten is ranked 9th in the Big 12 in assists and 10th in the Big 12 in steals.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? West Virginia currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (979 to 943) than Iowa State, per the NCAA.
- West Virginia has more NCAA Tournament wins over the last 10 years than Iowa State (12 vs. two).
- West Virginia has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Iowa State (seven vs. two).
- Aaric Murray is ranked 10th in the Big 12 in rebounds and 6th in the Big 12 in blocks.
- West Virginia has more wins over the last 5 years than Iowa State (133 vs. 103).
- Since 1998, West Virginia has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Iowa State (three vs. zero).