|Minnesota||A Hollins 13.6||T Mbakwe 8.7||A Hollins 3.3|
|Purdue||T Johnson 13.5||A Hammons 6.2||R Johnson 4.0|
Purdue hosts Minnesota at Mackey Arena on Saturday. It takes place at 12 p.m. EST and you can see it on Big Ten Network. The Boilermakers are 5-2 against the Golden Gophers over the last four years. The last time they played they won 79-66 on Jan. 8, 2012.
Purdue is ninth in the conference and Minnesota is sixth. Both teams continue to jockey for position.
In their last game on Mar. 6, Terone Johnson put up 32 points and seven rebounds for the Boilermakers in a loss to Michigan, 80-75. With 13.5 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. For the Golden Gophers, Trevor Mbakwe finished with 15 points and seven rebounds in the 53-51 loss to Nebraska on Mar. 6. With 8.7 rebounds per game and 1.5 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. A key area of strength for Minnesota is offensive rebounding percentage at 44.7, which ranks first in their conference (and first nationally).
- Purdue has more wins over the last 5 years than Minnesota (143 vs. 123).
- Over the past 10 years, Purdue has had more players drafted by the NBA than Minnesota (four vs. two).
- Minnesota has to pay up to win. The coach for Purdue has a much lower base salary than Minnesota ($1,398,120 vs. $1,861,000).
- A.J. Hammons is ranked 8th in the Big Ten in rebounds and 1st in the Big Ten in blocks.
- The Purdue basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Minnesota (67 percent vs. 42 percent).
- The Purdue blocks leader (A.J. Hammons, 59 blocks) has more blocks than the Minnesota blocks leader (Trevor Mbakwe, 44 blocks).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Purdue currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (995 to 954) than Minnesota, per the NCAA.
- Purdue is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Purdue is 214 lbs compared to 209 lbs for Minnesota.
- Purdue has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (69.0 percent to 61.7 percent).
- Purdue waxed Minnesota by 13 points the last time they played (Jan 08, 2012).
- Purdue has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Minnesota (seven vs. three).