On Wednesday, Mar. 6, Minnesota took on Nebraska and lost in a stunner to the Cornhuskers 53-51 in conference play. With the loss, the Golden Gophers even the season series against Nebraska at 1-1. The Golden Gophers got a game-high 15 points and six rebounds from Trevor Mbakwe. Andre Hollins had 14 points and added six rebounds. For the Cornhuskers, Brandon Ubel got a team-high 15 points and six rebounds. Next up for Minnesota (20-10, 8-9 Big Ten) is Purdue (14-16, 7-10 Big Ten) on Saturday, Mar. 9 on the road.
Minnesota Game Notes
- The Golden Gophers have been unlucky three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Minnesota is 30-27 in close games.
- Minnesota has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-6) after recording 51 or fewer total points.
- The Golden Gophers have lost 88 percent of the time this season (1-7) after having a field goal percentage of 38.0 percent or worse.
- Minnesota set a season low for steals (one).
- Minnesota has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past five games.
- The top two scorers (Trevor Mbakwe and Andre Hollins) accounted for 56.8 percent of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (26) than the starters (25).
- Trevor Mbakwe has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 19 times in 30 games this season.
- Andre Hollins has four straight double-digit point games.
- Trevor Mbakwe has three straight double-digit point games.
Nebraska Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Brandon Ubel and Dylan Talley) accounted for 50.9 percent of the points.
- Brandon Ubel has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 17 times in 30 games this season.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Shavon Shields.
- This was the first foul out of the season for David Rivers.
- Dylan Talley has eight straight double-digit point games.