Nebraska squared off with Minnesota on Wednesday, Mar. 6 and pulled off a stunner over the Golden Gophers 53-51 in conference play. With the win, the Cornhuskers tie the season series against Minnesota at 1-1. The Cornhuskers were led by Brandon Ubel, who put up a team-high 15 points and six rebounds. Dylan Talley had 12 points and added three rebounds. For the Golden Gophers, Trevor Mbakwe finished with a game-high 15 points and six rebounds. Nebraska (14-16, 5-12 Big Ten) takes on Iowa (19-11, 8-9 Big Ten) on Saturday, Mar. 9 on the road.
Nebraska Game Notes
- Nebraska started 14-16 during the 2009 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- Nebraska beat the spread by 10 points. That makes the 16th time this season the Cornhuskers have beaten the spread.
- The Cornhuskers have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Nebraska is 26-22 in close games.
- The Cornhuskers have won 78 percent of the time this season (7-2) after recording 16 or more free throws made.
- Nebraska has won 75 percent of the time this season (9-3) when its three-point percentage has been 33.3 percent or better.
- Nebraska has won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) when opponents record 19 or fewer field goals made.
- Nebraska has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) after holding an opponent to under 38.0 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Nebraska has won 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Brandon Ubel has 15 points or more and 75 percent of the time (6-2) when David Rivers has six rebounds or more.
- This is the 18th game at home this season--Nebraska has a 0.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Brandon Ubel and Dylan Talley) accounted for 50.9 percent of the points.
- Brandon Ubel has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 17 times in 30 games this season.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Shavon Shields.
- This was the first foul out of the season for David Rivers.
- Dylan Talley has eight straight double-digit point games.
Minnesota Game Notes
- The Golden Gophers have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Minnesota is 30-27 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Trevor Mbakwe and Andre Hollins) accounted for 56.8 percent of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (26) than the starters (25).
- Trevor Mbakwe has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 19 times in 30 games this season.
- Andre Hollins has four straight double-digit point games.
- Trevor Mbakwe has three straight double-digit point games.