Mississippi State 72
(8-21, 1-13 away)
South Carolina 79
(14-16, 11-8 home)
Venue: Colonial Life Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, March 06, 2013
||C Sword 20
||T Cunningham 6
||T Bloodman 4
||B Williams 38
||L Jackson 8
||B Ellington 6
On Wednesday, Mar. 6, Mississippi State lost on their home court to South Carolina 79-72 in conference play. The loss evens the season series between the two teams at 1-1. The Bulldogs got a team-high 20 points and three assists from Craig Sword. Jalen Steele had 17 points and added four rebounds. For the Gamecocks, Brenton Williams got a sensational 38 points (4 Reb 3 Ast), including 6-of-9 shooting from three-point range. Next up for Mississippi State (8-21, 3-14 SEC) is Auburn (9-20, 3-13 SEC) on Saturday, Mar. 9 on their home court.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- MState beat the spread by 1.5 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Bulldogs have beaten the spread.
- Mississippi State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-8) after recording 28 or fewer rebounds.
- Mississippi State has lost 78 percent of the time this season (2-7) after committing 20 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition records 79 or more total points this season, Mississippi State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-9).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 45.7 percent or better this season, Mississippi State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-16).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 40.9 percent or better this season, Mississippi State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-11).
- The top two scorers (Craig Sword and Jalen Steele) accounted for 51.3 percent of the points.
- Craig Sword has led the team in scoring in six out of 29 games this season.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Craig Sword's career.
- This was the eighth foul out of the season for Craig Sword.
- Jalen Steele has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Colin Borchert.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Trivante Bloodman.
South Carolina Game Notes
- Brenton Williams recorded a team season high in points with 38, field goals made with 10, free throws made with 12, and free throws attempted with 12.
- Brenton Williams accounted for 48.1 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Lakeem Jackson and Brenton Williams) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (49) than the starters (30).
- Brenton Williams has led the team in scoring eight times in 30 games this season.
- Lakeem Jackson has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 30 games this season.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Brenton Williams's career.
- Brenton Williams set career highs with 38 points, 10 field goals made, 12 free throws made, and six three-pointers.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Michael Carrera.